Fairly dramatic clouds at sunset behind tower

dt 4.4

DSC_2515.NEF.xmp (10,9 KB)

4 Likes

Hop!

DSC_2515.NEF.xmp (34.0 KB Ansel)

1 Like

Attempt at simple perspective correction.

Original edit:

Tilted the image 20 degrees around the x-axis and cropped in:

1 Like

Really interesting cloud pattern!
Thanks for sharing this view!

First I applied automatic perspective correction, then reduced horizontal and vertical values to 1/4 of the auto values. For more drama two local correction areas with haze removal were used. WB is RGB grey

DSC_2515_RT-2.jpg.out.pp3 (18.7 KB)

1 Like

Well done edit! I have to say though, with all of the perspective-corrected edits here (including my own), I always end up missing the cropped-out portions of the sky. Imho the tall building functions almost as the negative space of this particular image, whereas the sky is the primary object of interest.

1 Like

Donā€™t know if it is a glitch in the perspective tool. When Auto-fill is turned off Iā€™d expect all of the original image being rendered, with black areas where necessary.

Edit: Usig vertical shift in perspective tool, some of the cropped area can be retained :+1:

1 Like

There is a big halo around the building ā€¦you might be able to tweak it awayā€¦ Can say why as you donā€™t share your processing and I couldnā€™t pull it from your jpg export eitherā€¦

This is a rebuild of my previous effort ā€¦ the comments on my first try were correct in that there was a nasty halo around the building.
So again ā€¦

I am disappointed to see most of the results lack in foreground detail. Why would the street level remain totally/or close to black? dt really can exploit the far larger dynamic range that this file contains.

4 Likes

Much betterā€¦ but I am still left wondering did you use the tone eqā€¦ I still see a halo of sortsā€¦detail is blurred around the edge of the building in the sky as it comes close to the buildingā€¦ tweaking the smoothing radius or one of the other tone eq sliders would likely make that go awayā€¦ Iā€™ll check again but it doesnā€™t seem like you save your xmp inside your jpgsā€¦ so I canā€™t see what the source of that isā€¦

When you mentioned the halo in Davidā€™s edit, I think Iā€™ve discovered a similar halo around the building in my edit above as well:

In the case of my edit, Iā€™d say itā€™s an artifact from the local contrast module in RT.

The above edit was made in GIMP using several variants made in RT (output as PNG and used as layers in GIMP). Iā€™m posting the most dominant layer below, including the PP3 file. I believe this layer most prominently includes the halo seen in my edit above (where personally, I actually like it), so maybe it enables you to isolate the issue:

DSC_2515.Ebene1.png.out.pp3 (15.0 KB)

Yes, I should do that ā€¦ ?? Where to I find the switch??

Edited in darktable 4.41. Probably overcomplicated it.

1 Like

You made some bold choices, but it all comes together quite nicely imho. Itā€™s really only missing the Batman sign in the sky nowā€¦ Bruceā€¦ :smile:

2 Likes

I guess it is because the foreground is not really important in this image.

Another try of mine with even less foreground :innocent: (and a little bit more halo)

DSC_2515_RT-6.jpg.out.pp3 (18.7 KB)

2 Likes

I think I do like a lot of the dark Gotham city editsā€¦ very stunningā€¦ this is more like twilight but lighting to support that would need more
workā€¦

DSC_2515_01.NEF.xmp (15.5 KB)

2 Likes

I find it fascinating how the discussion now includes such different aspects as color grading as well as perspective correction.

Hereā€™s one more variant of the same RT treatment I posted further above, just with lens distortion correction disabled.

I wanted to try this since I donā€™t regard the shape of the building as the most relevant feature of this shot. The tower is a rather simple rectangular shape, whereas disabling distortion correction allows for more sky to be included (i.e. all of the sky that was recorded on the sensor), and also the area at the bottom is far less distorted this way. So why not buy that at the cost of slightly curved lines?

3 Likes

My black and white edit with darktable. High-speed film grain addedd later.

DSC_2515.NEF.xmp (11.2 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for posting

darktable 4.4.2

DSC_2515_04.NEF.xmp (22.3 KB)

2 Likes

DSC_2515.jpg.out.pp3 (14.9 KB)

1 Like

Somewhat extreme, but itā€™s a play, isnā€™t it?

DSC_2515.NEF.xmp (21.4 KB)

8 Likes