Family archives, Saint-Tropez, 1959, before it became too fashionable

Diapo000165.cr2.xmp (14.8 KB)

1 Like

Picture description says 2019:

And this is more coherent with all the power yachts in the back, as well as the genoas/jibs on roller furling on the sail boats (late 60s inventions, became really popular in the 80s).

1 Like

Plenty of good things above. Thanks to all. Funny how I was biased by the colors of the other slides I’m digitizing (those without a color cast). I will be a bit more aggressive in the correction from now on.

2 Likes

Rt. 5.9

Diapo000165.jpg.out.pp3 (11.8 KB)

2 Likes

Saturated blue version of #12

Diapo000165_equalized-4.jpg.out.arp (23.2 KB)

8 Likes

My vote for best color balance.
Detail on how this was done?

Thank you for the play. That was fun.

First a neutral with ART. Then GIMP and G’MIC.
I used (G’MIC, not in this order): CMYK-Tone, Specific Saturation, Curves (interactive curves doesn’t work as it should do), Tune HSV-Colors, Mixer PCA, LMS Adjustment, Details Equalizer, Tone Enhance, Denoise, MS Patch Chroma. In GIMP: Stress:

5 Likes

Thanks. There were a number of excellent attempts here. It is complex what I did. I first did the best I could with DT. I usually use Sigmoid but used Filmic V7 for finer controls of relative white exposure and black exposure. I then applied local contrast module at 150% before adjusting the exposure module. At some stage I used color calibration to do an initial correction targeting an average to neutral grey. I then used color balance RGB to work the saturation and vibrance of the image. I used a second instance of color balance rgb to focus on brilliance and contrast grading and used a mask to localise the adjustments to the row of buildings. I used the color zones module to increase the overall saturation of the image. I then used the color equalizer module to further increase the saturation of blues in the image. to bring out detail I used the diffuse or sharpen module. Finally I did something strange and arguably incorrect. I created a second instance of color calibration and dragged above all the other modules and again did a color color calibration after all my editing. I exported the image and opened it in GIMP. I used auto levels in GIMP to further improve the image and did some more tweaking in GIMP. Attached in my DT output and xmp file.

Diapo000165.cr2.xmp (26.9 KB)

2 Likes

G mic…very difficult correction

Diapo000165.cr2.xmp (21.2 KB)