Filmic RGB as a default module

But that doesn’t matter since those doesn’t provide any code to make darktable better.

2 Likes

I suspect it is language inherited from its origins… or main source of inspiration…

Huh?

From the manual page:

Remap the tonal range of an image by reproducing the tone and color response of classic film.

This module can be used either to expand or to contract the dynamic range of the scene to fit the dynamic range of the display. It protects colors and contrast in the mid-tones, recovers the shadows, and compresses bright highlights and dark shadows. Highlights will need extra care when details need to be preserved (e.g. clouds).

Seems pretty accurate to me, though improvements are always welcome via a pull request.

1 Like

Does not look accurate to me at all.

Classic film has three separate color layers, each of which has an independent nonlinear response to wavelengths that it is sensitive to.

Which is about as far away from filmic’s religious avoidance of per-channel behaviors as you can get. Norms, hue preservation - none of these concepts exist in classic color film.

No halation either. One could argue that this is a good thing unless you are desiring to emulate halation, but another thing that sets it far apart from classic film.

4 Likes

:person_shrugging:

1 Like

Not worth my time personally. As you are quite aware, I have wasted more than enough of my time on darktable pull requests.

It’s also the responsibility of the module’s author to accurately describe how it works. I can tell you that “like classic film” is not remotely accurate, but filmic has thrashed around so many times (6 revisions with massive changes at this point) that describing it accurately is extremely difficult.

Serious? Maybe on the doc part but certainly not in dt code.

And you don’t imagine the time I waste repeating the same thing over and over for people not taking the time to at least read the doc.

5 Likes

Confusing, as you take the time to write here about it all the time.

1 Like

I’m looking at the Darktable section. The first topic that is about colours at all, is the ‘sony colors mystery’. Which actually might be a good example, although it’s a nicely asked thread and not hostile. And maybe be more of a colour-management and white-level issue, and maybe not even filmic related.

Then you have to go down a bit to get to the ‘sunflowers sagas’ topic. Which is made by someone who made a patch for filmic to demonstrate the effect it gives, and asks why and how this is happening. So yes, it’s about people not getting the results from filmic, but not a ‘argh stupid filmic why’ but actually a dev topic. And it’s about handling highlights, not colour accuracy.

Anyway, the amount of talk on this forum here about people not getting good colour out of filmic seems to be very exaggerated.

If you then think that Darktable doesn’t really ship with ‘camera profiles’ out of the box, but only a matrix-transform, means that yes, some colours can be off. But that’s true with or without filmic.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I know that there are still a lot of issues people might be having with filmic, and not getting it, etc… I’m not saying it’s perfect or problem free. But people still thinking there is constant whining about it seem to be living in the 3.0 / 3.2 / 3.4 era.

Pretty much every image I process gets a very good base point that I’m happy with by just setting exposure, enabling filmic, hitting the ‘auto picker’ button next to white (leave black alone). Then maybe I change the maxrgb mode to luminanceY mode depending on what I see, but that’s basically it.

In extreme dynamic-range cases, a quick fix for me is always to use one of the ‘compress shadows / compress highlights’ presets in the tone-equalizer, and place it in front of exposure (so, below it in the module view). Then set my exposure + do the filmic one-button click thing.
But these are images that in Lightroom for example would require huge adjustments in the highlights and shadows slider, and then the clarity slider to get some punch back, etc…

Eerytime I try a trial of CaptureOne now, or I think “I will just quickly open this in Adobe camera raw”… I give up after some time. The starting image is way ‘too much’, too punchy, I don’t have access to the entire data of my shot it seems, and they always roll-off highlights where I don’t want it yet (or I want it sooner), etc…

Maybe I’m used to a certain look now, but I use DT for tone-mapping everything these days, and only use Filmulator if I have a very large set of images to batch-process quickly to get something out of the door or up on a daily blog or something. I only played with DxO Photolab’s default rendering because they have a new version out recently, but otherwise I don’t even really think about using other tools anymore.

5 Likes

Well, quite the same here.
In the past I was having periods of extensive use of Lightroom, DXO Optics Pro, Capture One.
I liked DXO 9 the most, but today…

I just can’t get myself into using something different than darktable.
Clear concept of pixel-pipe, multiple instances of modules, masking and so on. :+1:

BTW. Recent versions of DXO have lost their charm for me - too many fancy named tools with unknown “automagic”. The colours and denoising are nice, though.

2 Likes

This is the earliest reference I know of:

http://filmicworlds.com/blog/filmic-tonemapping-operators/

And a presentation by the originator of the concept:

http://duikerresearch.com/2015/09/filmic-tonemapping-ea-2006/

rawproc uses “the the optimized formula by Jim Hejl and Richard Burgess-Dawson” from the Hable post.

Read the Hable post first, he give some bits of history and context, as well as a readable generic description of the characteristics of a “filmic” curve.

5 Likes

That’s a nice site the guy has nice blog posts… I like this one

and this one

5 Likes

Welcome. I see this is your first post… I think we need a bit more information to understand your question?? Again welcome

Sir, this is a Wendy’s.

2 Likes

No, it’s a Burger King!

1 Like

It was a spam account. @7osema was correct but I botched the mod process. I appreciate the welcoming message @priort and the subsequent humour.

3 Likes

…Filmic RGB does not have too much on the burger menu, though.

1 Like

Too funny I thought so as well but working at the University I am “conditioned” to think maybe an ESL issue?? I hear all day about people wanting to be their “authentic” self I guess this person was not… If I had tried to tell my dad I wanted to be my authentic self he would have handed me a broom or a shovel and told me to be as authentic as I liked…just get to work… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Funny that I was doing overtime to appease my masters and got distracted by this mod business. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

At least it isn’t Chik-Fil-A though.

Definitely is a potential UI improvement idea, everything needs a hamburger menu because HAMBURGER!

1 Like