Filmic RGB defaults

Well this is filmic. :stuck_out_tongue: Also, if you mean HVS, it has a broad scope and isn’t so much achieving a look but rather how one approaches image processing.

I think we use film because (1) people understand it already because its been the dominant medium until relatively recently and (2) the process is fundamentally the same: light is captured by a reception and transformed for consumption.

Is there any resource which goes into more detail about how people are used to the look and feel of film. Especially with reference to the last 20 odd years. I doubt anyone under the age of about 25 has seen any meaningful number of photographs taken on film and printed on paper unless they were interested in photography.

1 Like
  1. Human vision is still impossible to consistently emulate. There are so many things that { eyes + brain } adapt on the fly that trying to reproduce that is doomed with the science we have today,
  2. Pictures will be sent to media that don’t behave like the eye either, and we have to take care of them too,
  3. We have been able to paint for the past 8000 years without the slightest clue about our own perception, so I would say leave the perception models to the part that do them natively.

But:

1. The aesthetic of film has been refined over the past 50 years by Kodak, which conducted extensive research on color memory, and on what “beautiful” looks like.
  2. Film aesthetic is an acquired taste that defines the ground expectation of the audience. Most movies still apply film emulation LUTs, and they would be weird without it. (Lawrence of Arabia on neutralized Technicolor would be deserts with no sky — ugh).
  3. All in all, with no previous knowledge of what user wants, film look is thus your safest bet.

Also, because digital images completely lack of poetry. It’s so easy to make them super crisp, saturated and contrasted that most people have abused the settings for the past 20 years and now, they abide only by that exaggerated standard style.

Finally because film is coming back, Kodak restarted the Ektrachrome, and I hope they restart the Kodachrome before all the skilled lab techs who know how to process it are dead or retired.

I know a shitload of photographers under 30 that have switched to film after starting digital. They are plenty on Youtube. Also, remember that a lot of movies are still shot with film, and most of the others are processed with film emulation.

9 Likes