Filmic, when to use?

What do you mean? Do you have your own version of filmic (if yes, how can I get a ready to install windows version) or is your version a part of filmic 3.0?

I have a filmic tone operator in my hack software, rawproc. Here’s a link to the most recent release, with the filmic operator:

In this thread, post #2 describes the original filmic curve, and post #33 has a description and snapshots of my tool.

1 Like

Thank you for your post. The preset you refer to is the same preset. I’m referring to in my post here:

So the two of us agree. It’s a powerful and easy to use preset. Using the preset you get this result copied from this thread:

2 Likes

I agree, but it seems that it’s more prone to produce halos, and I’d risk saying, strong ones.
In your image, there are some.
In this one from mine also:
Before:

After (applying @Gaito’s preset) :

Thank you for the link. If I install your hack software I suppose that it can co-exist with Darktable on my pc without problems?

I’m pretty sure it won’t mess with anything else. If you’re using Windows, the .zip file might be the most non-intrusive thing to use; download it, unzip it into a directory somewhere, and run it from there.

There’s some setup you might have to do; don’t hesitate to post questions here, or make a new thread…

Your right about the halos that is a known problem with tone mapping:

I use the preset in “extreme” situations (very dark shadows and very bright highlights) and you can lower the effect easily if needed. It’s a nice extra tool in the tool-box.

1 Like

Yeah but the very need for dampening the effect shows a fundamental issue in the algorithm. Same as shadows and highlights. Halos should never happen.

1 Like

Right, I had problems with Filmic RGB in version 3.0rc1 and this Dstyle is very powerful

I see your point. But we have to use the tools available even if they are not without flaws. I prefer the RT Dynamic Range Compression tool to the DT Tone mapping.
Is there a chance that DRC will become available in DT?

When trying to get familiar with the new filmic module, I revisited this thread because these images are really difficult to process.

Here my first try using filmic. I post the original resolution, so you can see all the noise and find all halos :wink: .

DSC_8528.NEF.xmp (8.1 KB)

… and the second one (Edit with greenish tint removal):

DSC_0856.NEF.xmp (15.0 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for your post. It’s interesting to follow your experiments using the new filmic tool.

I have not yet implemented DT 3.0 but I have been watching @anon41087856 excellent videos for several hours. I seems that I didn’t understand the purpose of filmic from the outset. I thought it was a tool to rescue very demanding photos with almost blown out highlights and deep, almost black shadows. Now I understand that the filmic tool is meant to replace the base curve tool providing better color handling resulting in better images.

Regarding the two photos in question: I shot them knowing that they would need editing because the resulting images default would have a higher contrast than my eyes registered. My aim was to edit the photos resulting in images as I saw the scenes. In my opinion your editing is impressive but has evened out the contrast too much especially in the first photo. That should be easy to fix if you agree……

No problem :wink: . I tried to develop the image with regard to the persons, thinking that these are most important. The view came only second. Making the room & people relative darker, would make the task even easier.

I’m currently building my toolset for the new DT 3.0 workflow.
In particular, I’m tuning some styles based on filmic rbg, as starting point for the development. So far I’ve built four of them:

1. Filmic Styles_well lit images.dtstyle (2.3 KB) for Low DR images where the subject is well lit, like for example studio images
  2. Filmic Styles_well lit images, local contrast.dtstyle (2.7 KB) same with local contrast
  3. Filmic Styles_moderate backlit images.dtstyle (2.7 KB) for medium DR images, where the subject is backlit and shadows need to be lifted
  4. Filmic Styles_strong backlit images.dtstyle (2.7 KB) for HDR images in strong backlight

As an example here is the result of application of the style #4, just the style, no other adjustments

I think it’s not bad for just a couple of clicks.
Feedback is welcome.

Marco

9 Likes

Hi’ @MarcoNex
Thank you for your post.

I think that your results are very good. The relationship between highlights and shadows is close to what I recall. The colours have a twist of the colourful out-of-camera-jpeg-pleasant-look that we have got used to :grinning:!

Impressive results obtained with just a few clicks. I would love to get a copy of all your styles if you are developing more…….

Update, here is my most recent collection of filmic styles. I don’t think I will do more, but I might update some of them from time to time.
Remember, they have to be considered just a starting point for further edits.
Filmic Styles_Normal light, no local contrast.dtstyle (2.7 KB)
Filmic Styles_Normal light.dtstyle (2.7 KB)
Filmic Styles_Strong backlight, contrasty.dtstyle (2.7 KB)
Filmic Styles_Strong backlight.dtstyle (2.7 KB)
Filmic Styles_Extreme backlight.dtstyle (2.7 KB)
Filmic Styles_Moderate backlight.dtstyle (2.7 KB)
Filmic Styles_Normal light, brighter.dtstyle (2.7 KB)

5 Likes

Thank you very much. I’m looking forward to test out your styles after upgrading to 3.0…:grinning:

Great. Thanks for sharing.
Just a comment. You have kept the base curve module (inactive) inside.
As I have not found the way to import image without it, the first thing I do is remove it on all images. And it comes back :-).
This said, that’s easy to remove it from your files with a text editor.

There’s an option in the settings to turn off auto-application of base curve and sharpen