fimic rgb saturation curve

Unfortunately, they don’t fit my taste whatsoever :woozy_face:

Is there a PR or discussion about these new defaults somewhere? I found some PRs on Github about the highlight reconstruction, but I can’t find anything about the reasoning behind the new contrast and latitude defaults.

As far as I recall it was a decision made by Aurelien and adopted I can’t remember where the initial discussion if any was. Basically I use the autopicker now and leverage the exposure module. I do a full image at 50% and this works more times than not and then if not I select a region that should be 50% and select that and work from there… As for filmic I start without it and decide if it is needed and then if so I prefer v5 and how it works so I would use that if using filmic…the gamut handcuffs in v6 might be great but I don’t like them.

Edit I do recall it happened right when AP forked DT and created R/darktable, now called Ansel…

1 Like

Cheers. Yes, I don’t have filmic auto applied either, and based on my couple of days with sigmoid, I won’t be sticking with just one of these. I will use whichever works best for each image (sigmoid for sunsets!). I was just curious why latitude is now zero by default because I think AP advised and the manual still says that you should generally increase latitude as much as possible.

It now has a different implication in v6 …before it defined the end points for the saturation curve. I like v5 and if using filmic I use it. It doesn’t have the gamut handcuffs and I set it to preservation no and then set the auto pickers… then pretty much just use the latitude and saturation sliders to dial in the level of saturation for my desired look and shift that left or right with the highlight slider and I can usually dial in a look that is perfect… I do also tweak the shoulder between safe and hard depending on the image…but most time I don’t need all those adjustment. In v6 there is no saturation curve so as far as I know the latitude is just deciding how broad your midtone region is and how steep the roll-off is into the upper and lower parts of the curve… The new default with no latitude will ensure a smooth roll-off towards middle grey. It is then I guess up to the user to dial in a central linear portion to adjust as desired… I can see how the manual statement might be confusing as it would seem the default is the exact opposite as to what it says there…

1 Like