Finding the proper bag

Randall Munroe may not be a photographer, but he has the same problems:

xkcd

Posted by someone who has been procrastinating for over two year to replace a bag with an exterior that is badly worn out and an interior that has been soaked with Muscadet wine(*), but can purchase a lens in less time it takes to reach for a credit card.

(*) by a strange coincidence, a half-bottle (37.5cl) is about the size of my 120-400mm lens(**), which I wasnā€™t carrying on that day.
(**) no camera or lens has been harmed by this experiment

4 Likes

This is so funny! I spend a lot of time watching, wait for it, bag reviews on YouTube. And, Iā€™ve even started making reviews myself. Problem is, I canā€™t seem to make them under half an hour!! I know, Iā€™m obsessed. I love all the details and have to talk about the pros and cons of everything. I just really like backpacksā€¦

I finally found the proper bag for me, a Clik Elite Contrejour, which I had to buy used.

I did the same thingā€¦ Then my gf bought me one for Xmas and its fantastic!

I know that feeling. Whenever I am in the market for anything I start researching the topic way too much, until I can pass as an expert in the field, eventually even to real experts (or did anyone of you notice that I am just pretending to know computers and photography?). So sometimes I deliberately choose to not look into something at all and just go and buy the first thing that I find. Knowing that I payed too much for something that isnā€™t the best.

1 Like

The problem is imho that with all the informations at our fingertip only the best of the best is good enough for us now. we no longer settle for ā€œgood enoughā€.

That said ā€¦ on the bag question ā€¦ I am quite happy with the peak design messenger bag.

1 Like

FWIW, i got a Pacsafe camera bag for xmas and itā€™s pretty neat. Thereā€™s always something wrong with all of them of course, but I think I might be able to keep that one for a while. I like that itā€™s a backpack: messenger bags hurt my back and Iā€™ll carry a lot of heavy stuff in there. Plus thereā€™s room for a laptop in the back as well, so I can use it for business travel.

My only frustration with it so far is the lack of a waist belt, but so far Iā€™m surviving. And the little foam things inside to make compartments? Theyā€™re never quite right. :wink: But no bag is perfect, and I really like that one, almost more than the camera inside it (and thatā€™s no small feat!).

FWIW, hereā€™s a couple of very in depth reviews I made of two of my camera bags.

I have a Lowepro ProTatic 450AW and enjoy it very much. It sits on my back very nicely.

Very recognizable! ā€œBut this one hasnā€™t got a laptop sleeve, and I might want to use it for more than just photographyā€¦ā€ Anyway, I recently went from a nice LowePro to the Peak Design Every Day Backpack, and so far I love it. Itā€™s big enough for my trusty D750 and one or two lenses, and a laptop, and some snacks. A clip on water bottle finishes the outfit :slight_smile:

The proper bag is the one you have on your back or shoulder. Same with camera gear. Even if it is :poop:. As with anything, we accumulate possessions over time but end up using only one or two of them.

3 Likes