Flat images from recently acquired camera & lens - hot to enhance?

What version of dt did you use to create this edit ?

20240329_SWGC_0515.RW2.xmp (16.6 KB)

Sorry, I forget and I emptied the trash yesterday. I don’t have any converters linked to the GIMP.

It was probably RawTherapee at default raw settings but might have been FastStone Viewer.

Downloaded original again and compared the two converters. Looks like it was probably RawTherapee.

RawTherapee saved as JPEG then opened in the GIMP to select the “blown” clouds and show the selection histogram

There definitely were blown-out clouds:

Turn off highlight reconstruction, and you’ll see. The screenshot above is with filmic disabled and exposure dropped.
This raw white point is probably wrong, that’s why the raw clipping indicator does not show clipped pixels:

If you lower it a bit:

The indicated clipped pixels match up with the magenta:

3 Likes

20240329_SWGC_0511.RW2.xmp (11.1 KB)

DT 4.6.1

20240329_SWGC_0515.RW2.xmp (14.8 KB)

Hmm… I used the raw overexposure clipping option in darktable and no clipping was indicated, hence my comment. The settings for my indicator in DT V4.7 are shown here. However, then as suggested I turned off highlights reconstruction module and I got a very weak Magenta cast in the cloud, which was barely noticeable (scene shot below). I guess I can at least be happy that DT handles clipped highlights well if it has enough to work with. I love the new inpaint opposed option. The developers did great to include that as the new default method.

These are highly dependent on the raw white value. If you look in exif data the values are 0 for black and 4095 for white. Then an offset of 15 is added to black. In RT it is suggested that 3799 or something plus minus 50. is the Peak value for white and is used for lower iso. and 4095 for higher…in any case dropping the threshold of the raw warning only slightly pops on the warnings … so often there is nuance in these files and it’s not a bad idea to check the exif data just to confirm things
.m

1 Like

I’m running 4.6.1, which I think should be the latest stable version.

That relies on the the white point value set in the raw black/white point module .

1 Like

Hello a version made with Art

20240329_SWGC_0511.jpg.out.arp (12.2 KB)

20240329_SWGC_0515-1.jpg.out.arp (12.3 KB)

3 Likes

Late reply, sorry. By “blown”, I meant at the sensor.

Here are the raw log-log histograms:

green and blue blown.

All channels blown.

Converted to RGB with RawDigger and no adjustments:

In the first, one might ignore the “blown” clouds as I did.

In the second, good luck with that DR :persevere:

20240329_SWGC_0515.RW2.xmp (14.6 KB)

kept this one simple. If I had time I would play with a light path towards the water or even pop the pockets of light that’s already there.

edit:

second attempt

Thanks. I let Retinex loose on the dark one then adjusted exposure and de-convolved:

0515.RW2.pp3 (11.9 KB)

But, for me, I let “blown” stay blown …

darktable 4.6.1

20240329_SWGC_0511_02.RW2.xmp (20.1 KB)

2 Likes