fosshub.com, what is the point?

The usual tacit these days when one can’t defend their position, is to call the other side ignorant. Maybe you can find someone at fosshub that can explain it better.

Based on your comments here, I will be avoiding fosshub in the future.

1 Like

The usual tacit these days when one can’t defend their position is to call the other side misleading because you didn’t like his answer.

Before you came in the discussion I pointed out that the projects you carry don’t really need you as a download site since they already have one. So, so far, I don’t see any project using FossHub. I see projects that have downloads available on FossHub, but nothing tells me they asked for it (and I would be surprised if Gimp or RawTherapee had done so).

So, back to square one, what is the point?

Multiple questions asked.

“projects you carry don’t really need you as a download site since they already have one.”

1. I just explained to you why some projects use FossHub although they have other download options available.

“So, so far, I don’t see any project using FossHub”

1. What would you like to see? Large green “Download from FossHub” buttons? Banners with FossHub on each project page that use us? We never ever asked people to use our name, logo or do any marketing hype.

“I see projects that have downloads available on FossHub, but nothing tells me they asked for it (and I would be surprised if Gimp or RawTherapee had done so).”

1. Again, you are pushing me into a different discussion.

Free (open source) programs such as GIMP use the GNU General Public License (The GNU General Public License v3.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation) is there anything I need to add here? Good, now regarding your question
we added GIMP and RawTherapee upon users request. To make this even more transparent here are the ways we add software titles:

A. User request
B. Publisher request/suggestion
C. We add them

Before we publish them, the software titles must be clean: without software bundles or any other spyware/adware/malware.

Despite the GNU license, whenever we can, we ask permission from the authors (I know this sounds stupid) but if we don’t receive any reply we might proceed and list them if we are allowed to do so (again, depending on the license). Usually, a good indicator is if the software is listed on almost any other download site we are good to go.

However, if the authors of certain free software do not allow us to publish their work, we will remove their software immediately, regardless of their license type. We think it is fair to respect such a decision from their side.

If you have a problem with this, you can ask the publishers to send us a removal request, and we will honor it in less than 24 hours.

“So, back to square one, what is the point?”

1. The point is that we are an alternative for the reasons I mentioned numerous times before in this post. Furthermore, your question is hard to answer because you are looking at us from a visitor perspective. If you would’ve been using our platform (as a developer), you could’ve drawn your own conclusion: good or bad.

I hope this answers your question, despite your accusations, it was posted by the qBittorrent project:

I am writing this in frustration and protest because these guys, have offered us a lot of help behind the scenes and they were very quick to implement various features for us(e.g., inline GPG signs, update URL, etc). For those who don’t remember, we chose them after the SourceForge fiasco with forced adware in the installers. FossHub runs a pretty clean and fast site. They are a hub of good software there. And they do their best not to have intrusive/obstructive ads, ads which help pay for their bandwidth. Nevertheless, FossHub still supports qBittorrent.

A detour from our rather negative conversation.

1. The blur while “cool” isn’t flattering. I would rather see a large icon.
2. When I scroll or change tabs, the icons sometimes disappear leaving a white box.

3. When I hover over the gradient, white box or icon, it sometimes flickers.

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing this. It is a long story, but the point is that the new FossHub is coming up soon. This will be fixed.

1 Like

Good. Funny it took a day to know.

I can continue to show you examples like this, but again, I hope you understand why I don’t like this direction.

Ideally, we should be doing more and let our actions speak.

I jumped into this discussion because this isn’t the truth: that we are parasites or that we list projects to show ads.

You have to understand that there’s a lot of frustration especially when there was a lot of work and sacrifices that we all made. Ok, that’s another discussion too - sorry about this.

Not at all… In fact I came to FOSSHUB because I was looking for a place from where people could download my modest production. So I looked all over the site for a link to some Developer/Registration page and couldn’t find it… Which logically raised the question of how/why the packages got there if the developers couldn’t make it happen by themselves.

2 Likes

Ha! A simple contact would’ve been enough. We would be more than happy to host your “*modest” production, at least you can see with your own eyes how “bad” we are.

We had a sign-up area, but we took it down.

*we treat all projects the same regardless of their size or anything else.

Just my 2 cents: If you google ‘rawtherapee download’ you 'll get links to a lot of sites which are really bad concerning the foss idea. Why don’t we talk about this sites as well? Remember, it wasn’t fosshub, which startet the discussion here on pixls…

1 Like

I’m glad to see that we get a more friendly díscussion level (at least I hope so)!

2 Likes

You provide DDoS services for free software projects? That’s good to know. Some day it might come in handy.

4 Likes

As I said, we try to help as much as we can. CloudFlare does a great job even in the free version, but if this doesn’t work we will try to come up with a solution.

@Ofnuts just a quick info. We added a “Sign-up” page last year in 2018 when we launched the new platform and site. We added a short description to make it more clear what FossHub has to offer for free projects.

I want to add: famous universities, colleges, non-profit, and even companies are using FossHub to update packages.

@andabata - we are working on launching our first app, which doesn’t show any ads, despite what you wrote about us.

@ukbanko - it helps a lot if you could send us a list with free, useful and clean software titles.

That being said, you guys should hear from FossHub more often in the future. Thank you!