Gimp 10.22.30 cannot import or export AVIF files?

It might depend on having libavif or libheif installed but I’m actually not sure.

Have you reported this in the bugtracker by chance? (I didn’t see an issue there after a brief search.)

If additional libraries were required, I would expect this to be indicated on the Gimp website, or various tutorials around the internet, but I see no mention of such requirements. Where would I install the libraries anyway? /usr/local/lib? /usr/lib? /opt? Wouldn’t a PATH need to be set up?

It works here with GIMP 2.10.30 and Windows, I was able to open and save the Mexico.avif AVIF file.

I think it’s an problem with the macOS version. Please open an issue:

Opening Mexico.avif in Gimp 2.10.18 on Linux gives: error, unknown file type…

I think its an compile time dependency and you can’t just copy it somewhere:

If it’s the flatpak version please update to 2.10.30 and if it still not works open a bug report here:

If it is a packager from your distribution open a bug in the bug tracker of the distribution and perhaps add this link:

On Linux, that avif file doesn’t show up in gThumb or Geeqie, nor in the file browser (the thumb of it). G’mic reads it neither. Same story after installing libavif…

I expect, that they have not compiled libheif with libaom support. (for AV1, i.e. AVIF files)

Hi, this is definitely an omission in the MacOS version. I’m pushing a fix which will be included in the next release of both 2.10 and 2.99. I’ve also created a bug report: AVIF export and import not available on macOS (#7776) · Issues · GNOME / GIMP · GitLab

1 Like

Lukas (@lukaso) - I installed and tried your interim build (in issue #7776), and it still could not load a .avif file. I get “Unknown file type”. Am I doing something wrong?

I’m not sure what’s going on to be honest.

Could you try going to this site: AVIF browser test page: AVIF support in Chrome, Firefox, Edge… and downloading the picture and see if that opens? (the AVIF support is provided by other libraries so it could be that the version isn’t quite right, although I’ve taken the latest.)

(I also just re-downloaded the software and it definitely worked (so it wasn’t a build issue) and I wasn’t using a local copy. Just to make sure it wasn’t me.)

That file opens correctly in Gimp. It also opens correctly in Chrome, displaying the text saying that AVIF is supported. In Safari it opens to the JPEG thumbnail with text saying that AVIF is not supported there. All these outcomes are expected. However, other AVIF files, which do load correctly in Chrome, do not load correctly in Gimp. Here is a link to one such AVIF: https://github.com/AOMediaCodec/av1-avif/blob/master/testFiles/Microsoft/Mexico.avif
Does this load correctly for you in Gimp?

for Windows GIMP 2.10.30 works OK

Przesyłanie: 2022-01-27_164103.png…

Using the build that @lukaso created, that file doesn’t open for me.
In fact, it doesn’t even display unless I select Show All Files.
See attached screenshot.
Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 11.46.48 AM

OK. I just tried on a completely fresh VM and it was still able to open the sample file that I had, though I did have to click on “show all files”. Could you try with the file that I linked in the bug report and let me know what happens?

Your sample file opened correctly in Gimp the first time I tried it, as I say earlier in this thread. It’s other files that don’t seem to open correctly, like the Mexico.avif example. Does that one open correctly for you?

I’ve posted a new version in the gitlab issue. This one really should fix the problem. Thanks for bearing with me and being willing to help out.

This works! And export to AVIF seems to work as well. Thank you so much for fixing this issue!

You’re welcome. The version you are using is an interim build so there could be other things that might be wonky. The official fix will drop in 2.10.32. But hang on to this build and you should be fine.