GIMP 2.10.x tips and tricks

A quick one this time:

Since GIMP 2.10 you can set blend modes for the layer groups .
This can be very useful.

An example for high pass sharpening (How to arrange the layers and which blend modes are used can be seen in the picture below):

Screenshot%202018-09-09%2019%3A10%3A25

Now, if you move the slider for Gaussian blur, you can observe the sharpening radius directly on the canvas. This way you can precisely adjust the radius (size of blur) and amount of sharpening (opacity of Group layer) before applying it.

If the sharpening is too strong, instead of linear light you can also use grain merge or overlay blend mode for the group layer.

4 Likes

This is a great tip. Recently, been selectively sharpening my photos and applying different sharnesses to different parts of them. Is your procedure basically the same thing that “unsharp mask” does, but the long way around?

I love the scenic route home. :wink:

Another way to sharpen that I use from time to time, is with the Highpass filter. Here is a screencast:
HighPass_Sharpen.mp4.7z (2.2 MB)

1 Like

Not really. Although the final effect is similar, the big difference lies in the blend modes used for both approaches and the corresponding consequence for further processing.

Difference in composition can be seen here:

Layers

As the advantage of Unsharp masking is its ability to control the contrast and width of the edge and which area outside the edge should not be affected, the strength of the high pass filter lies in the possibility of using different blend modes with corresponding influence on the end result.

Here are a few examples (left is the result of Unsharp mask for comparison and right are different blend modes for High pass filter).

Grain Merge:

Hard Light:

As you can see - in contrast to Unsharp Mask - Hard Light only influences darker areas. Accordingly there is no halos in brighter areas.

Linear light:

Overlay:

Soft light:

Vivid light:

So, each of these blend modes affects the sharpening in a different way. In my experience, depending on the image and which blend modes you use, I can often achieve better results with high pass sharpening than with Unsharf mask.

1 Like

Yes, it’s even faster :wink:.

However, in the above example, the blur layer that was used to create high pass filters is preserved, and can be used for other purposes e.g. frequency separation.

Here is another example of using one color model component , this time LCH C (ab) to brighten up the image without affecting highlights and shadows too much and with some ability to control contrasts.

In this picture I want to brighten up green trees and the house without affecting white benches and texture of the cloudy sky too much:

Screenshot_20180924_204649

So, we duplicate the layer and extract the LCH C(ab) component (Colours – Components – Extract Component - LCH C (ab) ):

Screenshot_20180924_204900

When zooming in we see that the result is noisy. We will use Selective Gussian Blur to remove the noise (Filter - Blur – Selective Gaussian Blur):

Screenshot_20180924_205830

Blur radius 16,00 and Max. Delta 0,040 works fine:

Screenshot_20180924_210146

For this layer we choose Hard light as blend mode (from drop down menu in layer window choose Hard light):

Screenshot_20180924_210713

We make a new layer out of the result (right click on top layer and choose “New from Visible”):

Screenshot_20180924_211216

We delete Hard Light layer and rename Visible to Screen:

Screenshot_20180924_211539

Now we change blend mode of “Screen” layer to Screen:

Screenshot_20180924_211820

As you can see, the photo is already a little brighter. Now we will use curves to influence the brightness and contrast even more.

Open curves tool (Colours - Curves) and move upper point to center of graph as shown in the image below:

Screenshot_20180924_212604

The photo is now much brighter and we have starting point for further adjustments.
We can increase the local brightness of the image even more by drawing an arc on the right side of the curve:

Screenshot_20180924_213533

If we want more contrast, we carefully drag black dot very little to the left:

Screenshot_20180924_213929

Before and after:

Screenshot_20180924_214234

5 Likes

At first reading LCH C (ab) was confusing to me. To break it down, basically it is the C* channel (chroma) of L*C*h based on L*a*b*.

See this Wikipedia entry for more info. (Note that Wikipedia entries on colour, etc., aren’t perfect and need improvement but they are a good start.)

C is the A+B Channel? I thought that was LCH(Color). Chroma is a extrapolation of A, and B, but not a copy a transfer of A and B Channel. Am I thinking this wrong?

No. L* is the same. C*h is a polar projection of a*b*. Maybe that is why I found the naming of LCH C (ab) confusing. Moreover it is possible to get C*h from L*u*v*. Following GIMP’s naming convention, I guess C* would then be called LCH C (uv). Does that make sense?

Another quick tip.

Skin retouching with Gaussian blur in combination with HSV saturation blend mode.

Duplicate original layer, add HSV saturation blend mode to that layer, select skin area you want to clean and apply Gaussian blur :slight_smile:
(I’ve hidden skin selection here so you can see the result better.):

Fine details are preserved and can be enhanced by sharpening the area a little bit.

Bigger skin blemishes have to be treated differently and the method is not as precise as frequency or wavelets separation, but in most cases you can get very good results quickly!

Picture used from Pixabay under CC0 License.

7 Likes

Since area selection is often a bugaboo for me, I would appreciate an elaboration of your skin selection here.

@Underexposed It is just a quick tip. If you have more time, use a mask and brush in or out the areas that you would like to modify.

Hi Bill,

I’m using Free Select Tool:

Free%20selection%20tool

How to select skin areas is described here in great article about skin retouching by @patdavid :

I should have been more precise. The issue is selecting around hair. Maybe your selection just skirted near it.

Yes, as in the picture below from the tutorial. If there are some hairs in the selected area, wavelet decompose makes sure that they are preserved when you work precisely.

1 Like

Thank you, Boris.

Gotcha. Thank you.

Bill

An ancient rule for converting a color photo to black and white is to mix the three color channels in a certain way to get the desired result. This method can also be used to influence the color contrasts of color photos.

GIMP offers a lot of possibilities to do this. I’d like to highlight two tools that are very useful in this regard, mono mixer and color balance tool.

First mono mixer in combination with luminance blend mode. This blend mode ensures that only the brightness and contrast of the colors are affected and not the saturation or hue. LCh Lightness blend mode can also be used. However, this also increases the vibrancy of the colors a bit.

Ok, here is our initial image:

The setting is quite simple: We duplicate the layer, assign it the luminance blend mode, select this layer and open Mono Mixer from the color menu in the upper bar (Colours - Components - Mono Mixer) :

Now a few examples of what can be done:

darken blue areas and brighten red ones:

brighten green areas:

darken red areas:

As you can see, a lot of combinations can be made to influence the color contrasts. I highly recommend experimenting with them!

Color Balance tool is also very well suited for this purpose. Its advantage is that one can apply color contrast separately to three different brightness ranges - shadows, midtones and highlights. This allows countless possibilities of color contrast influence!

That’s why I will concentrate on this one picture and everything else you can try for yourself. :wink:

Setting is the same as before, instead of Mono Mixer we now use Color Balance tool (Colours - Color Balance):

These are the changes I’ve made (Shadows, Midtones and Highlights):

And this is the result:

And after I have increased the saturation a little bit:

This technique is also ideal for processing portraits! Just give it a try. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thanks for a great writeup. I usually tweak the LH (lightness according to hue) setting in RawTherapee’s LAB controls. RT’s RGB controls do something similar. I’m not sure of the practical difference between the two, TBH (in RT, that is).

Question on the first part of your post where you are using the mono-mixer + luminance layer blend mode: is there a way to use this technique if the 3 dominant colors of your image are cyan, yellow and magenta? In other words, not the primary colors from the RGB color wheel?