GIMP 2.9.8 Released

I have just finished preparing an up-to-date GIMP AppImage package from the latest BABL/GEGL/GIMP GIT versions, which you can find here.

The AppImage package includes a number of plug-ins:

• Resinthesizer and liquid rescale plugins
  • RAW processing plugins (Darktable, RawTherapee, PhotoFlow and NUFRAW)

I am still working on the inclusion of the QT-based G’MIC plugin, hopefully I will sort this out soon…

The new AppImage package has been generated with a totally new configuration, which is based on a custom-built Docker container and Travis CI, for a fully automated procedure. At this point, updating the AppImage is as simple as re-starting a Travis CI job. Moreover, the whole configuration is available in the corresponding github repository, in case somebody will need or which to take over at some point.

As usual, any feedback is highly appreciated!

2 Likes

It works!

Sabayon, sys-libs/glibc-2.25-r9 installed.
Log: http://dpaste.com/0SN76DP

“Legacy” icons work, “Symbolic*” icons are missing:

1 Like

Thanks for the quick feedback! I have no idea yet what’s going wrong with the symbolic icons, but I’m looking into the issue.

Perhaps @Jehan can help with the icons, he implemented the functionality in Gimp.

Hmmm… I was called upon.

Looking at this log, it looks like that’s from a third-party appimage. For some reasons, it lists all the GDK pixbufloaders, which is weird, but helpful since I can see there is no libpixbufloader-svg.so! So here is your problem. The GUI cannot load SVG images since it doesn’t have the support.
Also normally this should have been detected at configure (there is a test to detect presence of this GDK module), but of course, maybe it was present during compile time but not packaged afterwards (no idea how AppImage building works).
Tell the package maintainer to package this if you want it to work.

I also see a bunch of other issues in this log. For instance it doesn’t find iso_639.xml so I guess localization support will be at least partially broken. Note that GIMP can be built without support, but if I see the error, it means that this file was present during build, but here again not packaged.
Warn the packager here too.

And why are all the RAW plug-ins (file-rawtherapee, file-darktable and third-party file-photoflow) crashing in your log when doing a g_spawn_sync()? That’s weird too.

1 Like

There are 3 icons missing for windows (Page Setup,Help,Context Help).
Missing icons

It is a simple cat of the bundled loaders.cache file. By the way, the SVG loader seems to be there, at line 84 of the log file:

"././/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-svg.so"

Good question… no idea for the moment, I am trying to find out. I do not get the same crash on other distros.

Indeed. I apparently missed it.
Are the SVG icons properly bundled? Or did you bundle the symbolic icons as PNG icons instead (both options are possible)?

In any case, there is indeed a problem but I don’t think I would have the time to investigate this myself. I have just too many priority items which I have to handle. I can give input if you have any question while giving detailed info though.

Apparently yes, there are lots of svg files in the bundled

usr/share/gimp/2.0/icons/Symbolic/scalable/apps

In any case I will continue my investigations after the Christmas break, and I will come back to you in case I have specific questions…

Thanks!

I appreciate your efforts!

1 Like

Checking more carefully, I suspect it is a MIME detection problem… if I run the AppImage within a minimal Ubuntu Docker container, all icons are not recognized and generate a lot of GDK pixbuf errors, even if the corresponding loaders are available.

In principle I am bundling all the MIME types in the AppImage, and I set the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable to the bundled usr/share folder where the MIME database is also stored…
But apparently this is not enough.

Does anybody know how to set-up and use a MIME database located in a non-system folder?

I have just prepared an updated AppImage package, using GIMP git head from today and including a fix for the missing Symbolic icons.

Could you please test it whenever you have some time?

@Jehan the problem with icons turned out to be due to a corrupted icons.theme file in the AppImage bundle, while the gdk-pixbuf loaders are working properly…

1 Like

The icons look fine now.

The text in the comboboxes in the grey, dark and darker themes is almost impossible to make out though:

Complete console log:
https://filebin.net/hv0e4hxxlrmwf2dm/gimp-2.9.9-20180109_1426.glibc2.14-x86_64.AppImage.log

Dark theme with Symbolic icons on Ubuntu Studio 17.10

I’m using KDE and:

@Morgan_Hardwood do you see the same theme issue with GIMP installed from the package manager?

@Jacal Thanks for checking!!! Could you provide me the full terminal output you get when running the AppImage? I would like to check if you have crashes similar to those in Morgan’s case when loading plug-ins…

Yes I do, so it’s probably unrelated to the AppImage.

oxygen-gtk works quite well for GTK2 for me.

@Carmelo_DrRaw I was away, here is the log now:

gimp-2.9.9-20180109_1426.glibc2.14-x86_64.AppImage.txt (11.8 KB)

Great news! And the appimage makes the news even better!