GIMP 2.99 released

when will GIMP have GTK4?

As soon someone does the work.

It doesnā€™t look like anyone has planned this far yet.

When API moves to GTK3+ in GIMP 3, will it be easier and faster to switch to GTK4?

What can it be done to make GIMP 3+ development more accelerated for exmaple like Krita and Blender?

Yes.

I donā€™t get the question.

I donā€™t get the question.

Faster development, new features like vector layer and vector tools, improving the existing workflow, adapting new workflows, ā€¦

At the moment there are ~2 really active developers and 5-10 contributors who send patches on a regular basis.

How to improve that? Oh, thatā€™s easy and hard at the same time. I see two solutions:

First solution:

• Create a foundation
  • Collect money
  • Hire developer

Alternative:

• Learn C
  • Start programming

While you are doing it support Jehan the main developer here:

1 Like

I just discovered that the gimp has 3760 issues open. Maybe bug triaging would be something where I can imagine that the devs could need some help. I.e., reproducing bugs, finding out the root causes, asking the reporters for missing information etc. Maybe a good way to familiarize with the code (while learning C).

1 Like

Here is annual report and plans for 2023 2022 annualĀ report - GIMP
Maybe it would be the best to freeze 2.10 development and work out roadblocks for 2.99 and 3.0.
3.0 would come faster this way.

Also, I would assume GTK 4.10 will release this year (latest unstable is 4.9). Will porting over to GTK 4 be beneficial for future development?

2.10 is pretty much frozen - only bug fixes and easy backports are really being added now. For example, I knocked out a few backports over the span of a week or so, then went back to working on the GAction port for Gimp 3.0.
2.10 is still what a large number of people use, so it canā€™t be completely ignored. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @cmyk.student !

I just wanted to say that you are doing a great job for GIMP!

From introducing CMYK mode, porting resynthesizer and other plugins, improving PDF export, PSD imports and tons of other contributions is an incredible achievement that will bring GIMP into a new era.

Thanks a lot for this!

6 Likes

Thanks, glad I could be helpful! Pretty much everything Iā€™ve done has been built on the work of others - I just added a little more to it. Thatā€™s the nice thing about open source software I think.

7 Likes

What about to raise a kickstarter or Epic megagrant for Gimp 3 like Krita did?

2 Likes

Is it possible for GIMP to be part of Google Summer of Code ?

It is - GIMP in GSoCĀ 2023 - GIMP

1 Like

Potential Gimp 3 RC is already at 60% complete!

2 Likes

Need better icons after all these years sill canā€™t figure out what us what. Yes yes shortcut keysā€¦but l like buttons and icons lol

From the looks 2.99.18 is ready for release 2.99.18 Ā· Milestones Ā· GNOME / GIMP Ā· GitLab