Gimp: How to match colour tone across several photos?

Hi everyone, I’m trying to adjust several photos with Gimp (V2.10.22) to look like they have the same colouring.
I have several photos of the same piece of wood furniture, but the colour of the wood is a slightly different shade of brown in each photo.
I understand that the camera will take a different white balance reading each time a photo is taken, and this leads to colour variations between different photos. However, I’m not in a position to retake the photos with a fixed white balance, and so I need to edit the images to get them looking the same.

I’ve included three sample images to illustrate the problem (there are many other photos that I need to colour match too). You can see the colour difference between images 1 and 2.
Image 3 is edited, and the colours look the most like the actual wood colour. However, editing the other photos in the same way is not an option because it’s very difficult to get the colours looking the same by eye.

Is it possible in Gimp to take a colour profile/map/palette (I’m not sure of the correct terminology) from one photo, and apply it to the other photos so that they all have the same colouring?

Many thanks,

Andy_C

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Gimp has a feature called “pointer.”
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-pointer-info-dialog.html

You can open it in “Windows>Dockable Dialogs>Pointer.”

Where ever you hover the cursor(pointer) the values for that pixel are shown. R,G,B and Alpha.
I wish I knew more about using this but I don’t. I saw a video a long time ago that used this to help match skin tones. Good luck!

1 Like

If all the images were shot in the same light with the same camera, the only variable should be white balance. If you have the raw files, you can pick one image as the reference and apply its white balance to all the others.

1 Like

I had the same problem, and it is discussed in this thread.

Hermann-Josef

1 Like

I know one software that has a function adjust WB to match the colours of one certain spot to a spot in another photo. I only have used it rarely, but it works.
The only downsides are that the program is only available in German language and only processes a bit depth of 8. Else it is perfect to process jpg images:
JpgIlluminator

1 Like

This is what I was able to do using Darktable.

P1260611+623+623Coladj With Numbers For Colour Comparison.jpg.xmp (6.7 KB)

4 Likes

As Claes suggested, you could install G’MIC (for GIMP).

Then the following filters can be applied:

Colors > Transfer Colors [Histogram]
Colors > Transfer Colors [PCA]

2 Likes

Hi Claes, many thanks for your suggestion. I’ve installed G’MIC and I’ve been getting pretty decent results from the Transfer Colours feature :+1:t2:

Andy_C

1 Like

Hi Glen, many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the images are all in JPG format, and taken with my digital camera and also my smart phone. But I’ll certainly pay attention to this when I’m taking photos in future :sunglasses:

Andy_C

Thanks Stephen, that’s a pretty decent result. I’ve downloaded and used G’MIC and got similar results - I’m not familiar with Darktable, I assume it has similar capabilities to G’MIC?

Andy_C

Thanks iarga, I’ve installed G’MIC and found the results to be pretty good and pretty easy to achieve!

Andy_C

1 Like