G'MIC Dream Smoothing output

Hello!

I’m having issues getting the Dream Smoothing to output correctly using the G"MIC plugin on GIMP 2.10.28.

When I am going through the settings, I get the below preview, which is perfect and exactly what I’m trying to reach.

Once I click “Apply” or “OK” though, I get a white out version of what I was trying to do.

I’m brand new to G’MIC, so I don’t know enough to troubleshoot what’s going on with it during the processing of the filter. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately, I cannot help there. The ‘Dream Smoothing’ filter has been written by Arto Huotari.
Maybe you could give a link to this particular image so that I can test on my side, and see what happens ?

The wash out effect happens because of something to do with image being float-based. I don’t know how to describe it, but it is something with that. I don’t think there’s a remedy for this.

There is probably a remedy for this. I don’t see why we could not do anything about it.

Ironically, sanding an object often yields a lighter surface. :stuck_out_tongue: @Tullirius Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the responses!

Here is the original image. It’s a picture of myself that I am trying to edit to turn into an avatar picture. I removed the background and colored the hoodie to be black and green.

I set it up to have multiple layers so that I could edit pieces of it independently without effecting the others.

Once I had the skin set up how I wanted it, I plan on re-adding the missing layers and editing them too.

I can provide the .xcf file with the different layers and edits so far layer when I get home from work.

@afre thank you for the welcome!

1 Like

In context, my comment is even funnier. :rofl: Nice photo BTW.

1 Like

Jeff Bezos has been confirmed to joined this forum.

That joke besides, this isn’t hard to replicate. Change color space into 32F with color profile being used, apply filter via g’mic, see the washed out color.

1 Like

I’ve been told many times I need to contact Jeff Bezos to see if he needs a body double :joy::joy:

Thanks for the tip! I’ll try that when I get home!

When I apply Dream Smoothing directly on the .jpg, I don’t get this effect.

I’d be really interested by a small sample image where the problem occurs (.xcf or whatever suitable format).

1 Like

@David_Tschumperle Let me try another way.

Here’s a .KRA file (Krita):
Bug.kra (2.2 MB)

The bottom layer is the Color Modulo Texture gui filter being applied in 8-bit document, and then it has been converted to 32F image.

The top layer is the Color Modulo Texture being applied within 32F space.

Both with default setting, but with RYB mode. I still have to figure what went wrong with RGB mode as I don’t know why that happened.

Ok, I’m home now. Here’s the .xcf file broken up into the different layers. When I applied the filter to JUST the skin layer was when I was getting the whited out issue.
Tullirius Avatar.xcf (5.8 MB)

Now that I scroll down in the preview to look at the hands… They’re whited out in the preview.

Select the skin first. Then apply dream smoothing only on the skin. Evidence:

PS Anti-aliasing on or off (I don’t remember which) can have an adverse affect on G’MIC.

I wonder if it’s anti-aliasing then? I was only selecting skin layer and was getting the whited out issue.

It is whitish because you are using the area adjacent to the hand, which is non-information. Act on the skin pixels only by selecting the hand with the section tool. I also noticed that it doesn’t work if you flatten the image first and the transparent area turns white. The selected area post-filtering turns darker.

so, I know it’s a week later, but I just got around to testing this out… I’m still not having success. I’m selecting ONLY the skin, not including the transparent background, and I’m still getting the whited out effect. I’m even using the color select and selecting just portions of the skin colors and even those sections are getting whited out.

Sorry @Tullirius, I don’t have the time to explain further. When I do, I may make a short video for you. Lots of talented people here. Maybe someone like @rich2005 could help.

No worries! I appreciate all of the help you’ve given on this!

1. It is the transparency creating the problem.

Apply the dream-smoothing filter before splitting the image up. Your work not wasted. A bit fiddly to align the layers but then use the separated layer for a layer mask.

or

1. Apply dream-smoothing with one iteration and apply again if required.
    Not quite the same but might do. Seems that equalize at each step is a problem