Good Noise remover for Linux - does it exist?

There are many noise suppressors on github. Most of them are under MIT, Apache or BSD license.

From Intel there is a noise suppressor,
[GitHub - OpenImageDenoise/oidn: Intel® Open Image Denoise library]
[Intel® Open Image Denoise]

with command line API. This is easy to use, but you have to convert the images to pfm graphics format and little endian.
E.g. ‘convert input.jpg -endian lsb output.pfm’ or with GIMP.

The call then:
$ oidnDenoise --hdr Noisy.pfm -o Denoise.pfm

Have you tested it with photos afaik it was invented only for images rendered with ray tracing and real photo have different noise.

1 Like

The Readme says Open Image Denoise is meant for noise from rendered images/ray tracing. How well does it work with real world digital camera images?

I had taken a screenshot of an example image and denoised it. This worked as shown.

But the test with an own photo and high iso noise failed.

I guess the photos still need to be trained or are trained on standard noise like Gauss etc…

The program G’Mic [https://gmic.eu/], the filter Denoise works with neural networks. But is very slow …

1 Like

When looking for an article on dpreview this open source program jumped into my eyes:

Sadly it is only for Apple

If you’ll read the comments, there are links to other implementations of the same algorithm:

HDR+ Pipeline - I believe at this point someone added DNG export, bypassing the tonemapping steps, I am not sure. I hacked TIFF export which I manually tagged to DNG ages ago, but it wasn’t exactly production-ready. HACK: Save aligned/merged Bayer image to TIFF file · Entropy512/hdr-plus@135273b · GitHub

The same author also has GitHub - martin-marek/hdr-plus-pytorch: A PyTorch implementation of HDR+ with CUDA support. - note that it only implements the align-and-merge core, and the “demo” script saves out a postprocessed TIFF, plus also re-quantizes the output to at best 14 bits resolution for most cameras (e.g. white level < 16384) instead of rescaling the output to make better use of int16. A variant of that that exports via PiDNG is on my TODO list - GitHub - schoolpost/PiDNG: Create Adobe DNG RAW files using Python. Works with any Bayer RAW Data including native support for Raspberry Pi cameras. - maaaybe some progress on that next week? But as many on the RT team can tell you, I am a HORRENDOUS procrastinator.

1 Like

Thanks for the infomation. But noise reduction by multiple exposures has been a common practice for a long time.
This can be done with ImageMagick [https://patdavid.net/2013/05/noise-removal-in-photos-with-median_6/] or Enfuse. There are also some astro programs that work with this method.

1 Like

I’ve had good results running Topaz Denoise with wine.

1 Like

With low ISO noise, i.e. real noise and no syntetic noise, good results are also achieved with GMIC (from version 3) and GIMP-ML.

Please see Vergleich-Entrauschen — ImgBB

The photo software digikam has in its image processing the possibility to work with GMIC.

Also for RAW image development
Image → open → enhance → GMIC