Hardware for darktable

I currently run Linux on a well equipped MacBook pro retina 2015. Works well, but onboard intel- iris graphics don’t provide opencl functionality for Davinci resolve or dark table. Thinking of swapping it for a thinkpad P50 with similar specs but with nvidia quattro. Will use for light photo and video editing when travel becomes possible.

Any thoughts on doing this?

My recent experience with AMD and OpenCL was less than successful, AMD Radeon RX580 causing instability / crashes on heavy OpenCL calculations.

Returned the card under warranty for a refund, and replaced it with an Nvidia GTX 1660.

Opensource drivers are all well and good, but if they don’t work well, then I’d rather use proprietary drivers that do.

https://motionarray.com/learn/davinci-resolve/davinci-resolve-system-requirements/

Looks like the Thinkpad will work. I did run Davinci on the Mac under the MacOS, and it worked, but not very smoothly. With Linux, can’t get it to run.

I don’t know for the latest version of Da Vinci Resolve, but for the past 2 years I had to remove Intel Neo OpenCL otherwise it would crash Resolve straight at startup with no useful log.

@Marcsitkin I have a faint recollection that daVinci not-too-long-ago
bundled daVinci Resolve with Centos 7.6 (ought still to be available).
I had it running using Manjaro. Note: I am using an Nvidia GFX
with proprietary drivers.

http://davinci.asu.edu/index.php?title=Download_For_RedHat/CentOS

I managed to get daVinci Resolve working on Manjaro as well, but it was unreadable on a high resolution screen unless I performed some ugly scaling trick at the X11 level. At that point I switched to KDEnlive, which was sufficient for my purposes, and with some config it could use the NVIDIA GPU for final rendering of the videos.

Yes intel neo have been removed in darktable (at least in windows) for time.

But the problem with Intel drivers seems to have been solved already.

Intel has opened drivers in windows too, and now it seems to use the same codebase as in linux.

You can enable intel graphics cards with the appropiate tweak in darktablerc config file.

I have done and am using the integrated graphics in my I7 8700K processor (HD 620) to generate previews and my nvidia 1050 Ti to main processing and it works fast and well till now.

I will have to use it for more time in order to be sure, but I had no crashes or problems.

May be others would try again (many people has Intel HD graphics in their computers in the motherboard or in the cpu).

1 Like