.HEIC and .AVIF test files

@kmilos I lived and worked in the States before I retired in England. I have only a vague idea about the location of the countries behind the iron curtain. One day we’ll have a road trip.

Good news from the tests: I have investigated the XMP puzzle and can’t find XMP in those files either. My code extracts the ICC profile from lilienstein_1k_HLG_icc.avif. So everything looks fine.

Bring your wife and toddler. I’m thinking of a cabin in the woods. My wife will come. Our toddlers are now 44 and 45, and have to stay home to supervise the teenage grand-kids.

I looked at Tomsk_with_thumbnails.avif. It’s a small file. Looks like the image+2 thumbs are in sequence of ‘info’ boxes. The offset/length of those objects are in the iloc box.

518 rmills@rmillsm1:~/gnu/github/av1-avif-master/testFiles/Microsoft $ ls -l T*
-rw-r--r--@ 1 rmills  staff  10864  8 Feb 09:31 Tomsk_with_thumbnails.avif
519 rmills@rmillsm1:~/gnu/github/av1-avif-master/testFiles/Microsoft $ exiv2 -pS Tomsk_with_thumbnails.avif 
    Exiv2::BmffImage::boxHandler: infe      105->21 ID =   1 av01 
    Exiv2::BmffImage::boxHandler: infe      126->21 ID =   2 av01 
    Exiv2::BmffImage::boxHandler: infe      147->21 ID =   3 av01 
    Exiv2::BmffImage::boxHandler: infe      168->21 ID =   4 Exif  *** Exif ***
  Exiv2::BmffImage::boxHandler: iloc      189->72 
       197 |       14 |   ID |    1 |   1775,  7618
       211 |       14 |   ID |    2 |   9393,  1409
       225 |       14 |   ID |    3 |    564,  1211
       239 |       14 |   ID |    4 |  10802,    62

Alex and I have investigated how darktable handles thumbnails and it generates and caches them without using Exiv2::Preview. Exiv2 will not provide Preview/thumbnail support for bmff. Exiv2::Preview only handles previews stored in Exif, so its use is limited. If an avif file stored a thumbnail in Exif, it would be respected.

When the bmff PR has been reviewed and merged, I’ll proceed to prepare Exiv2 v0.27.4 RC1.

I hope it’s not forbidden to cross-post in two Pixels.us forums. I promise not to abuse this.

I have downloaded 2.10.30 to my Apple M1 MacBook Pro running Big Sur, and I cannot find the option for exporting an image as AVIF, as described on many web sites, include the Gimp official site: GIMP 2.10.22 Released - GIMP. I also tried downloading 2.99.8. It doesn’t seem to offer the option either. Also, I cannot load an .avif image into either of these versions of gimp. Specifically, I tried one of the .avif test files here: https://github.com/AOMediaCodec/av1-avif/tree/master/testFiles/Microsoft (recommended in another Pixls.us Gimp forum), and received a popup error saying “Unknown file type”, suggesting that they don’t support AVIF files. Am I doing something wrong? Has AVIF support been removed? Is it the fact that I’m using a Mac?

The Mexico.avif file opens fine with GIMP 2.10.30 on Windows. and I can save changes back. I think it’s a macOS problem.

You should open an issue: