Help me stop fiddling with this

Ha, yes. My wife hates them. I’m not so bothered

Fifteenth and sixteenth according to Wikipedia

Oh, and if @TonyBarrett hasn’t discovered it, nearby Stonehaven has an excellent seafood restaurant

2 Likes

Ah, thanks. Next time. We just ate at the cafe on the harbour (old pier cafe?) and then beer in the ship inn. We took the two hour train from Haymarket in Edinburgh to Stonehaven. The harbour was also worth some pics but it was wet and I was lazy.

But here is always a rainbow in the sky?

Source: File:Dunnottar Castle by Walter Hugh Paton 1867.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

6 Likes

Ha. Pretty much. There was an absolutely ridiculous number of them when we were there. I guess it’s the coastal conditions.

An absolutely wonderful photograph! The fence and stairway lead the eye into the picture and the rainbow adds to the overall effect without being a distraction. I am not surprised you can’t leave it alone.

1 Like

A quick play in GIMP.

1 Like

Hello,
Here is my version with Darktable 4.3 and sigmoid, I tried to play with the colours (warm and cold tint) and the contrasts.

20230225_0017.CR2.xmp (19.5 KB)
Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

3 Likes

Hi @TonyBarrett,

this is my version, maybe it will help you with finding the desired edit :smiley:

20230225_0017.CR2.xmp (31.8 KB)

1 Like

Wonderful photo!

Her’s my version with Darktable 4.2.0. Probably I went too far with edits and should have stopped before…

20230225_0017_03.CR2.xmp (15.8 KB)

1 Like

@TonyBarrett

I can’t stop fiddling

W-e-l-l… don’t stop fiddling, then :slight_smile:
I do agree with you that it is a very intriguing image
as well as great fun to play with. Personally, I aimed at
getting a bit more emphasis in the rainbow and the clouds
in the background, but so far, I have not succeeded :frowning:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Very good framing. attached is my effort. i tried to bring out the rainbow and a bit of drama to the sky.

20230225_0017.CR2.xmp (18.7 KB)

1 Like

20230225_0017.CR2.xmp (13.9 KB)

@TonyBarrett great scene, and I can understand why you felt like continually fiddling with it. Lots of fun.

It seemed to me that the foreground and peninsula were actually in the shade of clouds, and the greener patch of water out by the rainbow was due to sunlight hitting that area. I tried to keep that in mind, and that resulted in my rendition being more subdued than most. I think @lphilpot’s thread about the state of landscape photography was on my mind while editing…I stayed as far away as possible from overcooking it. ART 1.16.3.

20230225_0017.jpg.arp (11.4 KB)

3 Likes

Wimp. :crazy_face::laughing:

2 Likes

Eatin’ it raw! :smiley:

2 Likes

I think you’re mostly right, though the clouds were moving constantly and there may have been some thin sunlight. It did occur to me that there’s a natural lack of contrast in the foreground that I’d been fighting

Love the capture and loved fiddling with it. :slight_smile:
RT5.9

20230225_0017-1.jpg.out.pp3 (18.8 KB)

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why it’s so hard to resist cranking everything up.

1 Like

I was also infected with the fiddling disease!
The bad thing is that the result doesn’t necessarily get better with each iteration.
Here is my very very last fiddle attempt. Most definitely. Probably.

20230225_0017_RT-10.jpg.out.pp3 (21.7 KB)

2 Likes