Help to create a set of "PIXLS.US" color LUTs ?

Also, I keep track of each contributor for each CLUT, so if you want full credits, do not forget to tell your full name (otherwise, I can use only a pseudo).

I wonder if it is worth to include colour patches and gradients into the reference images, as they appear in typical test images. That would prevent having some sparse areas in the CLUTs. I mean something like this: https://i0.wp.com/mirrorless-landscapes.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Testbild.jpg.

Hm, that makes me think … we need a freely licensed pixls.us test image, similar to the one above, but including more scenes (e.g. more different skin colours, landscape in sunrise/ sunset, night landscape with milky way, some food, …).

gosh yes! I feel honoured you guys even care about my presets. I am so behind on that project; I have a lot in the works that I need to make packs for. Any of them of particular interest?

So, here are my contributions:

The Original:

Delicatessen:

Progressen:

Hypressen:

Pseudonym is fine with me PPG or PhotoPhysicsGuy.

2 Likes

no idea…

Here’s a HALDclut for pseudogrey:

I made the HALDclut with the ImageMagick command:

convert hald:12 -colorspace Gray pg_clut.png -clut -depth 8 pseudogrey_hc.png

See the thread Digital B&W Conversion (GIMP) - #28 by snibgo

2 Likes

Another one, for a faded look:

Example:

1 Like

Thanks already for the nice contributions!

On my part, I’ve applied our CLUT compression algorithm (see An Efficient 3D Color LUT Compression Algorithm Based on a Multi-Scale Anisotropic Diffusion Scheme - Archive ouverte HAL) and started to integrate the existing CLUTs directly in the G’MIC plug-in.

I’m currently updating the web page with the new CLUTs : https://gmic.eu/color_presets/pixlsus_sample_7.shtml#browse

Looks like things are going well so far :slight_smile: Thanks again for all your contributions, and do not hesitate to add more interesting stuffs to this thread!

PS: G’MIC integrates the proposed CLUT in a (lossy) compressed form. I’m planning also to propose a .zip archive with all the CLUTs in two forms : .png HaldCLUTs, and .cube files.
@patdavid, do you think we could set up a specific page on the PIXLS.US website to offer this pack of free CLUTs when it will be ready ?

2 Likes

IMHO it would be good to introduce some categorization/order to make the collection even more useful. One could be to organize them in “packs”, similar to what @stefan.chirila did. Another idea would be to separate grading LUTs and correction LUTs, and further split the former into b/w related including colour key and sepia etc. vs colour grading, film simulation, …

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Well[quote=“chris, post:24, topic:14422”]
Any thoughts or suggestions?
[/quote]

Why not, but in a second step ?
Having sub-categories is interesting when you have a lot of LUTs (several dozens at least I’d say).
So far, we have gathered 10 CLUTs, so I don’t see right now the need for subcategories. :slight_smile:

10 in about 24 hours. If we keep this pace, we may approach the thousands early next year :wink:.

The point is, that I have no issue (besides lack of time) ordering (categorizing, tagging, …) my photographs, but what I find extremely difficult is keeping track of additional assets (such as CLUTs). The categorization is one of the topics here, another would be versioning. I was just thinking how to make this approach maintainable for both sides, the creator of the pieces and the collection as well as the user. And with this, the question how and where to organize such metadata.

Another question, that I tried really hard but was not able to find out so far, what does the “Hald” in HaldCLUT stand for?

I especially like the first 2. What software did you use? RT?
The downside to LUTs is that although they give you the colours you want, there is no way to figure out what was done.

Hi Stefan, thank you. I used RT to produce a first HaldCLUT for my own use. To get this look, I played with the HSV equalizer, to manipulate the hues (for example, render the greens bluer) and reduce the saturation. I also used a simple tone curve (maybe the L* one) to lift the shadows. Unfortunately I’ve lost the original .pp3 corresponding to this look, I only have the HaldCLUT left.
However I found my original HaldCLUT to be too strong, both in tone and color changes, so from the first HaldCLUT I made a second one with deeper shadows.
And the final look you can see in the images I posted above, is the result of each HaldCLUT at 50% to get a more subtle effect (I realized that I always turned down the amount, and found 50% to be a good balance).

1 Like

when you create halds from RT do you find you need to change any settings? such as rendering intent or colour space in order to get an accurate depiction of the changes? I haven’t done it in a long time but I found I had issues with brightness back in the day :frowning:

Sorry about being perhaps too vague

I think I understand what you mean. Indeed, in the past I’ve had troubles: in RT I applied some color/tone changes, applied the .pp3 to the “neutral HaldCLUT”, saved the new HaldCLUT, and when I tried to apply the new HaldCLUT the result was sometimes very different from the .pp3 changes. I even discussed about this here I think, but it was a long time ago.

soo… do you have a method to create an accurate hald clut? if so, is there any special procedure, or did they just fix bugs and now RT does it right right off the bat?

I sometimes find my preview image in RT is somewhat lighter than the resulting exported JPG and I fail to figure out why :frowning:

I love the idea, but I’ve got a better idea :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Darktable 2.7 (beta) allows you to import LUTS. However, you can only create styles jn darktable and not LUTS. It would be very handy if we could export luts from darktable.

What color profile do you use? Try Srgb when exporting. It should stay the same.

Lately I haven’t paid much attention to the accuracy of my HaldCLUT’s. You can look here when I mentioned issues I encountered while making HaldCLUT’s.

Sounds like a color management difference between RT and the image viewer.

1 Like

In terms of colour management. If a program is unamanaged it defaults to sRGB I believe (if I am not wrong). So maybe if I set the output profile to that… hmm