Help to improve skies using filmic and other modules.

This picture allows a really good exercise using Darktable. Thank you for sharing it. I tried to process it using my limited experience with DT according to my taste.

There are dark spaces on the round building (basilica?) in the middle such as the arcs above the windows and the main door in front of the building and the main door itself.

In some processed images shown in this thread those areas are completely black lacking of any details. Those pictures look very crisp however. In other pictures (jpg) and in my picture those arcs are a little bit bluish or greenish with several bright dots. What is the reality, that may not matter.

Not only the sky is difficult to edit, but also the yellow bricks that should look natural. If the color of the buildings is too brilliant and saturated, at first sight they look attractive, but if you zoom in, then the facade is not realistic.

This is my brief analysis on the rendering of this picture.

DSCF0262Kopie.RAF.xmp (19.0 KB)

5 Likes

My take - tried to give it more drama by contrast of yellows and blues.

DSCF0262_10.RAF.xmp (10.9 KB)

Nice edition, thanks.
Sorry I cannot follow the thread as much as I would like to, as I am on holidays and reading in mobile device.

The stones are a bit yellowish, but not too much. Ypur edition may be close to natural aspect.

There are blue zones in cupula and other paintings, not black, as you and others have detected.

It us nit an ancuent buliding, but it us inspured in them.
It was built buy Franco dictature, after civil war, about 1950 or so, I think.

It was part of an educational complex destinated to professional education (despite its name it was not desi g to be a university) in mechanics, and other labors.

Of course a basilica was a must and this is the central building.

2 Likes

Thank you Fernando for the information on the appearance and history of that educational complex and for the link. We now know that nice place in Gijon.

1 Like

Here’s my take.

5 Likes

Hey @Anders welcome to the community. It is customary to post a sidecar file from your editor and/or explain about your process if you used a rastor editor like gimp or krita.

1 Like

Of course - here is the xmp file, including a few extra steps. I adjusted contrast using tone eq, and used diffuse and sharpen for local contrast and sharpness, and cc channel mixder and color balance rgb for color grading, including some masking to separate the sky. Rotate and perspective for perspective, auto with a small manual adjustment. Additions after the posted image are watermarks and a bit of more contrast in the sky.
DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (32.2 KB)

2 Likes

My version, with v7 of filmic…

DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (15.5 KB)

3 Likes

I just can’t get it to look like that short of greatly overexposing it. Maybe that’s what I’m supposed to do. My best attempts to use a reasonable exposure increase still leave it dark and dreary, which I suppose is possible given the apparent weather.

This is my attempt at a re-do, since my previous attempt was two years ago. dt 4.4.2

DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (9.7 KB)

Just had to also try :wink:
I only added local contrast enhancement for the sky, otherwise only global adjustments.

DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (20.8 KB)

My attempt… Darktable 4.4.2

Sky/subject layered exposure & flimic rgb combination.

DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (21.2 KB)

1 Like

Updated attempt…
DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (22.9 KB)

2 Likes

Here’s me edit:

DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (37.3 KB)

1 Like

Here is my take on this Saturday morning.

XMP:
DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (38.6 KB)

For fun I “healed” away the walker from the original image- not bad if you don’t zoom way in.

2 Likes

DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (16.9 KB)

DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (11.6 KB)

DSCF0262.RAF.xmp (10.7 KB)

I’ve gave it a second try

Maybe i prefer the first… :grin: