Help with a poorly lit portrait

Am I the only one that can’t see the @sls141 images and can’t download the xmps?

No, same here

@Underexposed Not sure what happened. When I uploaded the 2nd edit they were visible. I just redid it and all seems to be OK now.

:+1:

Done in RT:

20200927_19.30.38_DSC_2839_R.jpg.out.pp3 (12.3 KB)

To be honest I think I prefer the full-frame shot (or close to), but thought I’d go for a crop anyway. Always tricky to try and get right.

20200927_19.30.38_DSC_2839.nef.xmp (30.7 KB)

a-20200927_19.30.38_DSC_2839.jpg.out.arp (12.1 KB)

@ggbutcher
Are your profiles available somewhere? I would like to try

Playing with darktable 3.2.1

The XMP is rather messy, I poked quite a few modules without aim.

20200927_19.30.38_DSC_2839.nef.xmp (15.7 KB)

1 Like

20200927_19.30.38_DSC_2839.pfi (28.5 KB)

I’m intermittently working on adding data from other projects to my github repo, GitHub - butcherg/ssf-data: Spectral sensitivity data for digital cameras. For this camera, Nikon D750, I have SSF data from the OpenFilmTools eneavor but I haven’t worked out the license to add the data itself to the repo. So, I just made the ICC profile from it and am uploading that here:

Nikon_D750_dcamprof.icc (212.5 KB)

Appropriate credit to OpenFilmTools is in the ICC desc tag.

Not going to get into what should be cropped or how tight as the wall pictures may have unknown meaning, however white balance is out by 750º too warm which gives this from RawTherapee (I have the same skin tone issues with my children).

Then in gimp, put a duplicate layer with mask on it, desaturate it and paint the mask over the young lady so you get no artifacts or halos (this was done roughly) but GIMP - Layer Masks gives the general idea, using about 60% opacity on the top layer. Use the dodge tool with a soft brush to lighten the eyeballs and highlights in eyes by 50% and the shadows under the eyes by 25%.

A little bit of balance goes a long way. As a human this is probably closer to what you perceived when taking the picture, eyes first, red standing out against background.

Thanks Philip, I’ll work with these ideas. dt users, the same can be done in darktable itself right? I do need a lot of practice with masks.

But then, I also need to learn gimp. I’ve stopped my adobe subscription but haven’t yet picked up an alternative. to photoshop.

Yes you can use color balance module for desaturation, with a drawn mask so it only affects either the girl or background.

As for dodging and burning the eyes, I would use tone equaliser, again, with a mask around them.