Help with default exposure in scene-referred configuration

I suppose all color is a matter of perception.

3 Likes

Slightly off-topic, but is there a way to do this without using the scroll wheel? It doesn’t seem to work for me, which I think is because I have “mouse wheel scrolls module side panel by default” enabled in the settings. But I can’t find a button or setting anywhere to do this without the scroll wheel. I have the same problem in the monochrome module where the scroll wheel is used to change the size of the filter.

What ever you set in preferences…ctrl alt scroll will give you the opposite…its like toggle…

2 Likes

I think also a reason professional monitors have a hood or shield to try to eliminate reflection and light fluctuations…

Ctrl b as well will bring it up…

1 Like

Thanks!

That mean I could use the charts pictures to follow this article, but would this work with the filmic model? (i.e. if I use filmic and not base curve to process my pictures)

The darktable-charts tool is basically creating a DT style which uses the Color LUT and Tone Curve modules to make a shot of a color chart resemble the reference image, which is either an out-of-camera JEPG of the same color chart, or make it align to the reference values published by the color chart manufacturer. It is designed to be used instead of base curve or filmic, so base curve and filmic should normally be switched off, and any tone mapping tweaks can be done via tone curve module.

If you want to profile your camera using a color chart and use it with filmic, I suggest not to use darktable-chart, but instead use ArgyllCMS to produce an ICC profile that can be loaded by your input color profile module. This then normalises your colours and allows you to apply tone mapping using filmic, base curve, or any other global tone mapping module.

The ArgyllCMS profiling instructions are here:
http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html#PS1

Edit: here is a slightly more user-friendly overview of the process described in the above link:
https://encrypted.pcode.nl/blog/index.html%3Fp=594.html

4 Likes

Well this will give you a lut and a tone curve saved in a dtstyle . You could see where that leaves you. You might for some images do not need any further tone mapping. You could also just use the color table part of the style and experiment with filmic instead of the tone curve or in addition to the tone curve… You could also just use the chart to make an icc file rather than a DT style and that you would use as your input profile……if you are on linux you can make a combo icc profile including the jpg using this approach GitHub - pmjdebruijn/colormatch: ColorMatch

but it needs a bit of modification….I will make a profile from the test shots via the colormatch and send it to you….

Tomas also has some good instructions and information Articles - Tomas Sobek Photography

Also here are the styles…one using the xrite color values and one matched to the jpg you can compare to what you get…

OM5_chart.dtstyle (5.0 KB) OM5_jpg.dtstyle (5.0 KB)

EDIT***
Sorry Pierre my first styles did not have the look up table only the tone curve…these have both

Correct_OM5_chart.dtstyle (5.0 KB) Correct_OM5_JPG.dtstyle (5.0 KB)

1 Like

ColorMatch_OLYMPUS_EM5MarkII.icc (237.0 KB)

@Pierre try this one just for kicks…just copy it to your config directory making a subfolder color\in …if you don’t have the folder you need to create it …something like \usr\AppData\local\darktable\color\in and put it there for Windows on Linux I am not sure but I will look it up… or you can google where ICC files go. Then just use this instead of enhanced matrix in your color input profile…

1 Like

Here are jpg exports of the results of applying the two styles and the icc file compared to the original…the filenames make it explanatory as to what is what…Definitely better not sure if it will be what your are hoping for??? May not show up here but there was a considerable improvement image by image in DT

1 Like