Help with over-saturated area?

Not just a very slight oversaturation of red, but a very slight oversaturation of the blue channel as well. You can see the very slight increase of blue within the whites of the eyeballs. I think I also notice a slightly more red and more purple coat as well.

I’m using a Samsug Galaxy Tab S3 tablet having one of the nicer displays.

These over-saturation issues are always fun to detect, similar to working a word find puzzle. (And then I usually remember I’m using a night time blue channel remover for viewing my display at night time. And I just realized I’m using it now too!)

Upon switching off my blue-filter, I can also see a very very slight increase in the green channel. On the top photo, I see definite green shades between the two heads and the leaf to left of the baby’s head. On the photo with more normal colors, those same areas have much much darker shades of green.

Remember, photos will contain varying levels of channels of colors, making hunting for oversaturation even funner!

I believe the RawTherapee manual suggests using the ProPhoto color profile for the working color profile, and then saving/exporting to sRGB color space. Exporting to AdobeRGB only if you have hardware supporting AdobeRGB, such as a high-end printer. More likely, since you have a wife likely using the photos, sRGB will be best.

1 Like

You stand a chance of correcting the redness with the hsl curves. They may interfere with the lipstick colour as well but if you keep the adjustment width small and narrow by adding “dots” each side of the adjustment probably not. They are tricky to use and often all 3 need adjusting to get the correct effect. There is a soft of eye dropper that can be used to scan an image and show the colours position on the curves. I often wish a click would retain it so best try to adjust and then use the eye dropper again to check it’s in the correct position and adjust etc. You may find that just saturation needs altering but probably not. Getting an exact match to say skin tone is likely to be too tricky.

Friendly advice - try not to take shots where the direction of view includes up some ones nose. There’s likely to be lighting variations etc.

This explains the HSL model. HSL and HSV - Wikipedia

John

Looks like a hue adjustment might do it but I haven’t really checked for effects elsewhere in the shot.

547082c2c833e05d9fcdc5a9e9600431479c346b-1

Quick pp3 that you can play with on the jpg that can probably be bettered.

547082c2c833e05d9fcdc5a9e9600431479c346b-1.jpg.out.pp3 (10.5 KB)
Following that correction you may want to make other basic colouration adjustments. I haven’t done a side by side comparison.
John

@stefan.chirila

I don’t know if you run Linux or etc. Getting things to use a monitor profile can be tricky at times. In my case for instance profiles are user based and were system based previously. My answer is to use DisplayCal to profile and let it install it for me. It is a more complex package than those than come with typical colorometers and spectrometers though and that sometimes causes people to have problems using it. Currently a profile and verification for me can take an hour. Bit different to what usually comes with them.

:wink: Only problem I have now is a viewer - Gwenview on KDE refuses to use the colour management so have to use a different viewer.

John

@Ajohn I do use Linux and have my monitor calibrated with dispcalgui and have the icc profile loaded upon startup, have only one user on the machine

AFAIK that statement about Chrome is wrong. At least for the desktop version starting from version 24 or so. The android version has no color management. That statement is still true.

In the desktop version it might be necessary, depending on your OS, to add “–enable-monitor-profile” to the command line.

1 Like

@ChasingShadows nope. They added that, then they removed it, because it didn’t work correctly.

If I remove the --enable-monitor-profile from my settings and I visit the page http://fotovideotec.de/browser_farbmanagement/ I will see strange colors. If I keep my settings I see good colors. Well, if it is really color managed I’m not sure of course…