Highlight reconstruction darktable vs. rawtherapee

Possible to share the raw?

Sure:
DSZ_1908.NEF (26.9 MB)
License: CC-BY-4.0, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode

Nice one :slight_smile: and definitely not exposed to the right :slight_smile:

Heh, I thought it was a scene at late dusk.

Generically, twilight is about the illumination, that being sky-scattered sunlight from the below-the-horizon sun. “Dusk” and “dawn” are instants in time, so to speak, having to do with the sun’s instantaneous relationship to the horizon.

And yes, I care deeply about the leap second Meta so enthusiastically wants to do away with… :laughing:

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Building darktable master+branch for Windows

DSZ_1908.NEF.xmp (9.4 KB)

3 Likes

A lot nicer than mine. Duly shamed, I went back and pulled the shadows back down, and replaced the matrix profile with my SSF LUT profile, which took that yellow out of the green…

2 Likes

Excuse me. This is my interpretation. I am not satisfied. I like the "tone of the road (very close to the ris, which is supposed), I like the “tones” of the forest greens. I don’t like the tone of the mountains in the background on the left with a very ugly magenta/reddish tone…

DSZ_1908.NEF.xmp (13,5 KB)

cheers

1 Like

Interesting… I went back to pix-peep my rendition, and that mountain is a lot more “neutral” there:

In the screenshot I included the view of my colorspace tool, shows I’m using my SSF profile. However, it looks the same with the plain old matrix profile.

I don’t have an operable darktable with which to regard your .xmp; what input camera profile are you using?

I do not use a specific camera profile. The space is sRGB relative colour space.

You have to use a camera profile, or at least a matrix of primaries, to describe the input. sRGB is the destination, and the transform is usually camera → XYZ → sRGB, so the camera and destination profiles don’t have to know about each other.

I’d surmise right now that the darktable default matrix for the Z 6 is from an Adobe DCP, which tend to be “warmer” than a ColorChecker-targeted profile. Just a gross surmise, based on heresay and supposition… :laughing:

Ack. And the D65 calibrated one at that.

I’m just guessing here, based on the fact that my renders here, one based on the libraw-supplied matrix whose provenance I do not know, and my SSF profile whose provenance I do know, are virtually identical with respect to the distant mountain color, and more-neutral than the warm render by @Jose_Figueres with darktable. And, my limited experience with Adobe DCPs from the AdobeDNGConverter. Geesh, I may have to snarf their DCP and make a primary set…

LibRaw (and dcraw) matrices are also D65 Adobe DCP ones (for the majority of cameras). No idea where the RT ones come from for the Z 6, which is different from the Z 6_2 one (which, in turn is the Adobe one and identical to Z 6 for dt and LibRaw…)

So any difference between LibRaw and dt is due to some other processing step.

I just happened to have a ICC conversion of the CameraRaw dcp, D65 white point, and it renders the mountainjust a tad warmer than the libraw primaries, but not as warm as @Jose_Figueres’ render. So yes, I’d concur with ‘other processing step’.

I will investigate whether I can answer this question. Although my knowledge is very limited

1 Like

In Darktable setting the WB as Z6 with direct sunlight (5131K)
Captura de pantalla de 2022-08-02 18-08-32

That would explain the color cast - try setting it to what the camera autodetected, or choose a cooler (yellowish/reddish) illuminant or preset manually, sunrise/sunset is more like 3400K, you can even try incandescent…

Anyhow, this is beyond the scope of this HLR subject - please search the forum for related color balancing issues in dt, or open a new one.

According to the Z6 firing parameters the temperature is 5098K. The result is very similar…

Captura de pantalla de 2022-08-02 18-15-32

Captura de pantalla de 2022-08-02 18-17-23