hiking hip bag recommendation for gx9 + few lenses

I need to buy a new camera bag for my Panasonic GX9. Currently I use a 25mm prime (about 6cm long), but I plan to buy a pancake lens and a longer zoom prime, probably the 56mm Sigma or similar.

I usually prefer something I can carry on my hip, because I like the accessibility and I carry a backpack on my back while hiking. It needs to be waterproof, or at least have a waterproof cover.

Recommendations would be welcome.

I am not a big fan of carrying weights asymmetrically, but there again, I suffer from back pain.

Have you considered something that can double as both camera bag and backpack? I am particularly fond of my two f-stop bags, a large one that takes my 500mm lens and a smaller one for everyday use. The advantages include a mixture of inserts for different circumstances, and the fact that I can take the inserts in the cabin with me when flying.

1 Like

I have seriously considered the Cosyspeed Camslinger https://www.cosyspeed.com/en/pages/hip-bags because I heard good things about it and saw one or two in action.
Ultimately, I realized I nearly always carry a backpack and did not want to carry a second bag - thats why I decided to go for the combo “backpack + quick release plate on one of the straps” - this one here: Capture Camera Clip | Peak Design Official Site - might be worth considering as an alternative.
But this solution still needs clever ideas for taking a second lens and waterproofing :wink:

1 Like

I bought this discounted, discontinued peak design bag recently on eBay for £39 plus postage. There seem to be one or two left. I don’t know if this would be feasible for your location. So far I used it for a full-frame canon body with sigma zoom attached and one largish prime, or a Minolta XD-7 film body with 50mm, one zoom, one 90mm macro prime and a couple of rolls of film. I haven’t used it with the gx9 but I imagine it would fit quite well and leave a little space for other non-camera stuff. Has a thingy to attach a capture clip. There are YouTube videos that give the details. I like it so far.

1 Like

The Peak Design bag can be used as a sling across your back or as a hip/bum/fanny bag/pack

Below was another discounted purchase (not from this seller) I think also for about £40. It’s much bigger and you don’t want to fill it up with heavy gear and walk with it a long way as it’s just on one shoulder and not as tight to your back as the smaller bags. But it can hold your small camera gear in the enclosed padded box (or sometimes I’ll add a second that I have) as well as a jacket, tablet and so on, and provides quick access and a stable platform for taking pictures. The zip on the v1 of this bag eventually broke, which I think became a known issue, but they seem to have corrected that in the v2 that I have now

1 Like

Thanks. The Peak Design Everyday Sling as updated to a 6L version, which looks perfect, except for the price. I will have to go to a store to try these.

May I ask what the bag is on this photo of yours? Does it hold the GX9?

It’s a Chrome Industries bag I bought years ago but it’s also been discontinued. I had a look on their website already and they have a v3 bag that may be the same one but it looks quite different. Fwiw the one I have fits well with three smallish lenses, say the Olympus 75mm f/1.8, the Panasonic 30mm f/2.8 macro and the 15mm panaleica f/1.7, with one of those attached to the camera. Fits well but not loads of extra room other than for a few batteries, keys, some cash. The new one is also pricey. You can’t get the 5L Peak Design somewhere discounted? The one I got was new old stock

1 Like

I use this with my EM10 and a couple of prime lenses.

1 Like

MPB have a number of second-hand camera bags and cases.

@Tamas_Papp, what do you carry in your backpack? Is it enough that there is no room for camera gear? I have this backpack and really like it. My X-T20 and three lenses take up less than half of the space in it, and the harness distributes the weight very well.

There are vendors who sell straps that can clip to D-rings on backpacks and allow you to clip your camera in. I THINK I got them from Kinesis Photo Gear, but I can’t find the exact product I remember on their website at the moment.

The camera has clips such that I can switch from attaching to the shoulder straps of my pack (Kelty Redwing 3100, sadly now long discontinued… It was the “base” backpack for also long-discontinued PhotoBackpacker products - RPT/Photobackpacker retired in 2014. :frowning: ) to using a regular neckstrap.

For lenses on the hip, I bought a TriLens before a trip to Iceland two summers ago, and I love it - https://www.friidesigns.com/trilens/

1 Like

Just another data point…

Think Tank makes (at least they did) belt-clippable hard lens cases with an attached weather cover. They’re pretty well made. I’m away from home and nearly out of connectivity, but I’ve had one for years and it works pretty well if that’s all that’s needed.

2 Likes

There may be room but I carry liquids and food (for the whole family when we are hiking) and I am concerned about particles and liquid getting into the camera (“jam on the buttons” is a perennial favorite).

Yesterday I took the camera hiking and I was wondering about whether I would really need to have the lenses that quickly available. I tend not to change lenses that much; I prefer to capture what I can, instead of capturing everything that looks great.

So I am fairly comfortable with the camera around me neck, actually, and only need to stow it in case I am concerned about rain, mud or impact (eg squeezing between rocks in a narrow gorge, descending on scree, or potentially falling into mud).

And sometimes I don’t want the camera dangling around, but then I can just loop the strap for armpit carry (in 5y, my GX9 will be advertised on MPB as “good condition, funny smell”).

Didn’t know about these, thanks. They look great for trekking, but when I was in Iceland (and similarly, Sweden and Norway, I love these countries), I spent a lot of time scrambling on rocks and/or via ferrata, so I am sure I would damage the lenses protruding from the hip.

Thank you, their modular system looks looks neat. I could just get another case for each lens I buy later, and also distribute the weight more evenly, eg on both sides.

So, for now, I think I will buy something that allows me to put my camera w/ lens + maybe 1 lens as separate items into any backpack, protecting from water and particles, and a small case for accessories (lenspen, extra battery), then carry the camera on the strap and leave the rest in the bag, and revisit the issue later.

Also, I have to keep reminding myself that I got a micro 4/3 camera to travel light and enjoy photography. Perhaps selecting keeping gear minimal is the best way to do that.

2 Likes

One other thing that’s REALLY useful as far as the whole “scrambling” - get a trekking pole!!!

My parents always hike with two poles, I’ve found that just one pole is a massive improvement over none, and two has the negative of more to juggle around when I want to use the camera/etc. Mine actually has a 1/4-20 tripod bolt on the top, although I never use it these days as it’s more hassle than it’s worth to unscrew the wood cap and put a camera on top. (A QR plate would have negative impacts on its trekking pole ergonomics). Also the aspects of a pole that make it a good trekking pole (bends a bit to absorb shock, has an additional shock absorber inside it) make it a horrible monopod, and good monopods make for horrible trekking poles. I don’t think Leki even sells the Sierra FS any more.

Trilens is usually left hip, pole is in right hand.

Tried them, didn’t find the benefit greater than the cost (loss of a hand, something extra to carry, end is sharp). I trained myself to descend on one leg with low impact (start from a book, then two books, then stairs, etc). Still can’t do pistol squats, but maybe one day. :wink:

If necessary, I just face backward and use hands.

That’s neat, never seen that.

Pretty much all trekking poles have an available rubber tip (SHOULD be included with most) to handle this. Yeah, using the unpadded tip on rocks would not work well. I basically have the rubber tip on and no basket at all times. I think the only time most people would use the basket/remove the rubber is to reuse the thing as an adjustable ski pole.

I’ve found this critical for maintaining footing in rough terrain if there are some slick areas - you can take the pole and plant it in a crevice/nook for significant added stability.

Also, the majority of the time, I can just quickly drop the pole and let it hang from my wrist from the wrist strap, as far as the “free hand” issue.

Sure, but this does not appease security at the airport, so you still cannot take is as carry-on.

Ah. That’s never been a problem for me, I always disassemble the pole and put it in checked luggage.

1 Like