hiking with expensive gear

Actually there are some really interesting landscapes that I didn’t know exist in Vienna. I discovered those by starting the rundumadum-Wanderweg, I didn’t do the whole thing, but most parts have plenty of photo opportunities I was especially intrigued by Etappe 4.

https://www.wien.gv.at/umwelt/wald/freizeit/wandern/rundumadum/

1 Like

Look for shapes, lines, and textures; they’re everywhere!!!

3 Likes

I usually have no trouble bringing full frame cameras on a hike, unless it is rainy. Someday I’d like to buy a good CHDK-able Canon point and shoot for situations like work or rain where bringing my camera gear would be dicey. I used to have a CHDK running Canon point and shoot that worked great when I was in early highschool, until it took one too many falls (a problem that I definitely don’t have for my expensive gear, in part owing to the fact that it doesn’t fit in pockets).

Edit: oh crap, I just revived an old thread zombie style.

1 Like

Thanks to burst stacking, it’s pretty impressive what mobile phones can achieve right now. I think for half of my last vacation trip I didn’t bother to pull my Sony out of my backpack, and just used my Pixel 4.

I’m really hoping Google takes inspiration from Apple and reverses their stance of crippling DNG output for maximum compatibility.

The Pixels shoot DNGs containing stacked and aligned frames, and have been for years. That’s miles ahead of actual raws, which are useless from a tiny, noisy, low-DR smartphone sensor. It is, frankly, one of the major selling points of Pixel phones.

Apple only started doing that this year, calling it “ProRaw”, and touting it as a giant innovation, and only in their highest-end phones.

Could you explain in what way this is “crippled”?

If I understand correctly, the phone records a lot of frames and combines them to a single frame. That means the n-frame data is reduced to 1-frame data, which means of a loss of data. Having the n frames seperately would allow to process them later using better algorithms. That’s the reason I like the pixel-shift approach of Pentax and Sony much more then the approach of other manufacturers, which save onle the final combined frame. Of course that’s just an analogy, but with Pentax and Sony pixel-shift files I can correct artifacts caused by moving parts in the scene easily in post, while I can’t do that with pre-combined shots.

Google has multiple multiframe algorithms. The legacy algorithm is the one described in https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/hdrplusdata.org/en//hdrplus.pdf - of which an opensource algorithm exists. Google’s newer phones do NOT use this pipeline for most shooting modes.

Instead, they use the newer multiframe superresolution algorithm, described in Handheld Multi-Frame Super-Resolution

MFSR inherently includes the demosaicing operation, and hence generates what one would call “Linear DNG” just like Apple does.

HOWEVER: When saving out DNGs, Google does not use MFSR - they use the legacy tiled align-and-merge algorithm. They claim that they are using MFSR and then re-mosaicing the output (which alone is a pretty poor thing to do) - but claim can easily be seen to be bunk when the DNG that is saved is cropped aggressively and vastly inferior to the JPEG (which went through the MFSR pipeline) in resolution. Being re-mosaiced at higher resolution would be at least acceptable.

The TL;DR is that if you use any amount of digital zoom at all, the DNGs saved by a Pixel (At least my Pixel 4 XL) are vastly inferior to the JPEGs in resolution.

(Also, unlike @heckflosse, I’m fine with the tradeoff of the phone saving the output of the multiframe combining operation, since it is hardware accelerated and saves a huge amount of intermediary data before I can dump images from my phone to a computer. Also no one has done a FOSS reimplementation of MFSR yet - someone kinda sorta tried, but never made significant progress. However, as stated above, Google’s DNGs have image quality consistent with being generated by the old tiled align-and-merge algorithm and then cropped, not the new MFSR algorithm.)

2 Likes

Once I would have thought that the best for hiking would be to pack light and not use any expensive lenses. But I had an experience that changed my thinking.

I had a job to film downhill bike race and the organizers brought me to the top of the mountain to film the jumping ramps which were supposed to be a little down the trail, they told me.

As I was trying to find that ramp, I hiked all the way down to the end zone of the race track and there it was, right at the finish line. I carried so much equipment down the mountain on foot and the ramp was accessible via car all along :angry: :joy: To say that I felt like a shave tail louie would be an understatement.

So I basically carried: 1 DJI Inspire 1, DJI Mavic 2 Pro, 80D, 2x GH5, Sigma 18-35, Canon 24-70L, Canon 16-35L, Canon 70-200 L, Canon 50 L, 85L and a bunch of other glass. 3 GoPros, two manfrotto video tripods with large fluid heads, some Aputure lights, a few flashes and a lot of accessories, hoods, follow focus, and cameras were all in cages etc.

The point is, I was somewhat tired when I got down, but I couldn’t believe I actually brought all that equipment down. Nothing was broken and I even made some shots along the way.
So now I have no problem going with an entire photography kit on a hike because it’s still not a lot of equipment compared to what I had to carry that day.

And if it breaks, it breaks. It’s expensive but it’s still just a tool. And tools might break when you work. It’s unfortunate but it happens.

And I guarantee you, you have more chance of breaking the lens shooting a concert than when hiking.

How many hands do you have? Are you a giant?

I had 1 large sling bag, 1 backpack, 1 drone case and 2 tripods. It’s a slow hike down, but very doable. The inspire 1 case was the biggest pain. The rest is not that bad actually.

I hike mostly with my Panasonic GX9 and Panasonic 12-32mm f3.5-5.6.
This combination fits in the pocket of my jack.
I also have the Panasonic 12-60mm f3.5-5.6. Still very light and small but doesn’t fit in my pocket. Buts its more versatile. Especially for closeups (can focus much closer).
These are cheap ‘slow’ zoom lenses, but very sharp.
For special occasions I take the Panasonic Leica 15mm f1.7 or m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 macro with me in my bag.

I also like my Google Pixel 3a.
I hope Google will finally switch to a new bigger and better sensor this year.
They start to lag behind (noise, details).

Well, in case anybody is interested: I ended up with the M.Zuiko 12-45/4. It’s so new I need to make a Lensfun profile for it.

1 Like

Good choice! thats a nice sharp small lens!

1 Like