How can I interpolate or crossfade a series of images?

That is something Gā€™MIC should be able to do also. Give me 5 minutesā€¦

I do remember seeing the optical flow estimation at some point. It would be really cool if we could get Gā€™MIC to do that! :slight_smile:

Actually, command -morph already does that, but itā€™s a bit memory consuming right now (because it keeps all interpolated frames in memory). So, Iā€™m working on a ā€˜streamedā€™ version of -morph.

Thanks for the feedback. Iā€™ll let you know when Iā€™ve got a proper edit done which I think will contain some other sequences, too.

I see - thanks.

Thatā€™s the one I initially tried, but I found that sometimes some stars would be moved along with the lights and then snap back into place on the next ā€œkeyframeā€. Iā€™d definitely be up for testing a streamed version of Gā€™MICā€™s morph!

OK, so Iā€™ve added another set of commands -morph_files and -morph_video which basically works like fade_files and fade_videos, with some extra parameters for the morphing algorithm.
The morphing is done between two consecutive frames by estimating both the forward and backward motion vectors (using an optical-flow like method), then interpolate the frames temporally using these two motion vector fields.
No need to say this can be very time consuming ! :smiley: (even if like me you have 24 cores!)

How to use it?

• First, update your filters, and check the commands are recognized:

gmic -update gmic -h morph_files

...(help should display here)...

An example of use, using image files as the input (here again, using bash on Linux, may be slightly different on Windows):

$ gmic -w -morph_files input_images\*.jpg,20,0.1,4,0,-1,1,output.png

(you may want to replace output.png by output.avi to gets an .avi video file as the output).
And thatā€™s almost the same if you have an input video file, instead of a sequence of images:

$ gmic -w --morph_video input_video.avi,20,0.1,4,0,-1,1,output.png

The smoothness parameter is important to set correctly for the morphing algorithm. Basically if the frames you want to interpolate can be well registered by a rigid motion (translation,shift,ā€¦) then the smoothness can be high (like 1 or 1.5). For non-rigid motions, try a lower value (0.1 is medium, 0.01 is low).

2 Likes

After using the update command, the morph_files command doesnā€™t seem to be recognised.

$ gmic -update
[gmic]-0./ Start G'MIC interpreter.
[gmic]-0./ Update commands from the latest definition file on the G'MIC server.
[gmic]-0./ End G'MIC interpreter.
$ gmic -h morph_files
  gmic: GREYC's Magic for Image Computing. 

Version 1.7.3, Copyright (c) 2008-2016, David Tschumperle. 
        (http://gmic.eu)

[gmic] Command 'morph_files' has no description. Try 'gmic -h' for global help.

hum. Isnā€™t it because of some caching problems ?
Try to get the update file directly from http://gmic.eu/update174.gmic, and put it in your $HOME/.config/gmic/ folder (replacing the older one).

Here is an example of the (subtle) differences you get with commands -fade_video and -morph_video.

Not sure the morphing here adds a lot (except for the computation time of course :wink: ).

1 Like

Adding that file to Gā€™MICā€™s config directory has unfortunately not solved the issue. I also tried adding cli_update174.gmic.

Thatā€™s a nice comparison video. The morphing really does help the smoothness in many places.

Ah yes, sorry but if you have version 1.7.3 of Gā€™MIC, you need to rename this file $HOME/.config/gmic/cli_update173.gmic. It should work then (but in this case, donā€™t invoke $ gmic -update, otherwise the cli_update file173.gmic will be overwritten.

I see - thanks. Iā€™ve now downloaded the following files and replaced ā€˜174ā€™ with ā€˜173ā€™.

gmic -h morph_files is still not showing help for the command, and gmic --morph_files gives:

[gmic]-0./ Start G'MIC interpreter.
[gmic]-0./ *** Warning *** File '/home/davido/.config/gmic/cli_update173.gmic' is not a valid G'MIC command file.
[gmic]-0./ Input file '--morph_files' at position 0
[gmic]-0./ *** Error *** Unknown command or filename '--morph_files'.

It seems like Iā€™ll need to update Gā€™MIC in order to test?

Edit: should the morph_files command be preprended by one or two dashes?

Well, no, the warning you get is not good :

[gmic]-0./ *** Warning *** File ā€˜/home/davido/.config/gmic/cli_update173.gmicā€™ is not a valid Gā€™MIC command file.

I think you should try $ gmic -update again, this is the ā€˜goodā€™ way to update. Then, check if the file $HOME/.config/gmic/cli_update173.gmic is a plain text file, and contains the string morph_stream.
If it doesnā€™t then it means you didnā€™t get the latest updates, for some strange reasons (maybe web cachingā€¦).

After deleting the update files and trying gmic -update again, all seems well. Thanks!

Iā€™ll leave it processing overnight and compare in the morning.

@David_Tschumperle found a pretty cool use for this. It works quite well for interpolating in between the frames of precipitation radar sequences. Not yet sure if I can move this into production but Iā€™ll let you know if I can. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Morph, 7 intra-frames, 60fps, 1.25 smoothing

(I found low smoothing values resulted in stars being shifted.)

Crossfade, 7 intra-frames, 60fps

https://youtu.be/sYixTgSZw28

Thoughts

• I donā€™t notice much difference in smoothness between the two in this case; I suspect greater movement between each exposure and/or a slower playback speed would show more of a difference. Iā€™ll experiment with this further.
  • By adjusting the smoothing value I got much, much less unwanted star movement than when using slowmoVideo. (I was using the CPU option with slowmoVideo, not the GPU option which doesnā€™t seem to be available in my current system setup.)
  • There is one point in the morph version, shortly after 1:10, where the middle of the horizon twitches; I think this was triggered by inconsistent colours of three dodgy exposures where someone (possibly me) was shining a torch where they shouldnā€™t have been. For series such as this where crossfading is sufficient Iā€™ll probably stick with the crossfading to avoid unwanted movement, but will try morphing when the combination of exposure time and playback speed result in substantial movement between ā€œkeyframesā€.
  • With my 796 source images, using the morph option with 7 intra-frames resulted in more images (6,361) than using the crossfade option with 7 intra-frames (5,565). Iā€™ll do some experimenting with this on a smaller number of images to see if this is consistently the case.
  • @David_Tschumperle is magnifique.
1 Like

I played with this applied to some mobile phone slow motion footage. Here is my result:

Thank you @David_Tschumperle :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That came out great. How many frames did you end up with for each lightning bolt? Thanks

I donā€™t remember but probably something like 5.

1 Like

I know itā€™s been a while on this topic, but I just came across this work.

The video samples look incredible.

I canā€™t get it running on my windows machine, but maybe you will have better luck. Maybe itā€™ll make it into Gā€™MIC!

@DavidOliver @David_Tschumperle

LOL All want to gmic + neural network :wink: