How can I interpolate or crossfade a series of images?

Well, no, the warning you get is not good :

[gmic]-0./ *** Warning *** File ‘/home/davido/.config/gmic/cli_update173.gmic’ is not a valid G’MIC command file.

I think you should try $ gmic -update again, this is the ‘good’ way to update. Then, check if the file $HOME/.config/gmic/cli_update173.gmic is a plain text file, and contains the string morph_stream.
If it doesn’t then it means you didn’t get the latest updates, for some strange reasons (maybe web caching…).

After deleting the update files and trying gmic -update again, all seems well. Thanks!

I’ll leave it processing overnight and compare in the morning.

@David_Tschumperle found a pretty cool use for this. It works quite well for interpolating in between the frames of precipitation radar sequences. Not yet sure if I can move this into production but I’ll let you know if I can. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Morph, 7 intra-frames, 60fps, 1.25 smoothing

(I found low smoothing values resulted in stars being shifted.)

Crossfade, 7 intra-frames, 60fps

https://youtu.be/sYixTgSZw28

Thoughts

• I don’t notice much difference in smoothness between the two in this case; I suspect greater movement between each exposure and/or a slower playback speed would show more of a difference. I’ll experiment with this further.
  • By adjusting the smoothing value I got much, much less unwanted star movement than when using slowmoVideo. (I was using the CPU option with slowmoVideo, not the GPU option which doesn’t seem to be available in my current system setup.)
  • There is one point in the morph version, shortly after 1:10, where the middle of the horizon twitches; I think this was triggered by inconsistent colours of three dodgy exposures where someone (possibly me) was shining a torch where they shouldn’t have been. For series such as this where crossfading is sufficient I’ll probably stick with the crossfading to avoid unwanted movement, but will try morphing when the combination of exposure time and playback speed result in substantial movement between “keyframes”.
  • With my 796 source images, using the morph option with 7 intra-frames resulted in more images (6,361) than using the crossfade option with 7 intra-frames (5,565). I’ll do some experimenting with this on a smaller number of images to see if this is consistently the case.
  • @David_Tschumperle is magnifique.
1 Like

I played with this applied to some mobile phone slow motion footage. Here is my result:

Thank you @David_Tschumperle :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That came out great. How many frames did you end up with for each lightning bolt? Thanks

I don’t remember but probably something like 5.

1 Like

I know it’s been a while on this topic, but I just came across this work.

The video samples look incredible.

I can’t get it running on my windows machine, but maybe you will have better luck. Maybe it’ll make it into G’MIC!

@DavidOliver @David_Tschumperle

LOL All want to gmic + neural network :wink: