How do get smooth highlights (Leica TL2)?

L1082187.DNG.xmp (28.7 KB)
Quick masked bloom, nothing too precise but can help in the end.

Darktable in the end preserves a lot more color than lightroom it seems, which blows everything even more and is farther from reality.

L1082187.DNG.xmp (9.1 KB)

Inpaint opposite for the highlights
Color calibration for the out of gamut colors
Sigmoid for the tone mapping

7 Likes

Hello,
Very good use of the colour calibration module for gamut management.
Capture d’écran du 2023-04-08 20-54-57

@hannoschwalm I wonder if it is possible to automate the gamut control at the beginning of the processing.

Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

1 Like

CC module has a gamut compression slider …use it liberally and it can help… there are many ways to attack things in DT… LR is also not the default for a good image …in many areas often it handles things poorly as well so you just have to decide and target all the aspect of your image you want to develop and use the tools… which if you spend a bit of time you will master with some nice control… v6 of filmic has some gamut control. It is meant to be an improvement but for some images it is like a set of handcuffs so then v5 or perhaps sigmoid will work…with time you get to know… I almost always use v5 filmic. I like the controls and the the lack of the handcuffs… in the case of filmic for me at least v6 is not simply better because its a higher number it just is the next iteration that took a different approach…

With only exposure and sigmoid … more like your LR look… just used HLR as LCH .

Exposure and filmic

These could be tweaked to suit the desired look…

I actually like the look of using the colorfulness slider in CC…

You have a number of good replies here already. For my 2 cents worth if you want to chase the lightroom look filmic version 4 seems close. I did add the shadow and highlights module at default values to bring out the details in shadows more.

Some experimental stuff I’ve been playing with (inspired by AgX that was also discussed here recently).

A custom version of sigmoid that lets one modify the primaries used for applying the per-channel curves. I hope to publish a version for testing some day.

15 Likes

Hello,
In view of the excellent result, we (the users) hope so too.
Congratulations,
Greetinfs from Brussel,
Christian

2 Likes

Wow, that looks amazing! :star_struck:

I’ve begun watching tutorial videos, and if I understood things correctly, this specifically mentions that Filmic RGB is better suited for these highlight situations and this mentions to boost gamut compression which also helped.

The colorfulness control of the color calibration module does an admirable job here. Well done. Makes sense to “prime” the signal before applying the per-channel curves (sigmoid) and then restore chrominance in the midrange areas. This is coincidentally very similar to what happens in AgX.

1 Like

A possible filmic v6 rendering. I set the white point manually, enabled reconstruction in filmic, and played with the params.
L1082187.DNG.xmp (10.8 KB)

Or, with a bit of bloom effect:

L1082187_01.DNG.xmp (11.3 KB)

2 Likes

This is my usual sigmoid workflow, with the preserve hue slider in sigmoid down to zero and the blue ‘colorfulness’ slider in color calibration pulled back a bit - a good option for this sort of issue. Also tweaked the highlight reconstruction threshhold as needed with this camera.
I do find those blues hard though!

L1082187.DNG.xmp (9.0 KB)

There are at least a couple of issues at play in this post Ie highlights and the gamut of the blue light. I think one thing that is key to convey to the OP if it is not already apparent, is that there are many ways to handle this and many looks or outcomes… Some people totally blow it out and some people look for gradients. I have not explored it but I recall Aurelien said that one of the main uses for the guided Laplacian module was to reconstruct these gradients so this too could be experimented with esp now that it is much faster.

In the case of this image if you set the image defaults to be none so that you just have as shot legacy wb and use the default HLR which is now inpaint you will get this…

Simply changing the mode of HLR to LCH gives this…

Not far off a few of the edits… and still no tweaks to exposure or tone mapping etc

Switching back to default HLR and using CC with the gray tab and blue set to 1 and blended in average at about 50% opacity gives this… blending in normal gives a slightly different look and in case they can be tweaked by opacity…

Normal Blend

Or you can use the colorfulness tab… Blue -100%

EDIT:

I will upload the pictures later… I seem to be having issue with slow or cancelled uploads to Pixls the past week or more… Could be on my end… anyone seeing this too…

EDIT2 Pictures added…

1 Like

Linear, unbounded Rec2020 output (no filmic etc.), run through my gamut compressor experiment. This version was created using the modern chromatic adaptation method (white balance = camera reference, color calibration enabled, using the default gamut compression = 1).

And this one is just plain old white balance = as shot, without color calibration and of course gamut compression:

2 Likes

BTW, @eobet , what is the computer in the foreground? It resembles a Commodore C64, but that only has 4 function keys, a 4-row keyboard (+space), and the power LED looks different, too:

Fairly good result. What’s your approach to the compression currently like?

How about a “new” Commodore C64?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

3 Likes

I analyse the image, finding the max C (of LCh) for each out-of-gamut pixel. I then take the max. of the C_actual / C_at_gamut_boundary, and apply a curve (Tone Curve Math Question - #6 by Thanatomanic) that gradually scales the C values so they all get inside the gamut. For L, I use the same kind of curve, after determining the max brightness; the shoulder is chosen such that the brightest pixel’s L value ends up just under 1.

The code is here, but it’s not written in the style used in image processing. :smiley: I tried to play it (type)-safe, didn’t care about performance. You’ll probably find it waaaay over-engineered (as it is).

2 Likes

But really, my method is crude, because I’m dumb. Use maths instead: sRGB gamut clipping

1 Like

My Hungarian is rusty, but jól látta! :smile: It’s a Mini-ITX case based on the original Commodore injection molding tools. Someone in the UK bought them and made modifications so you can fit modern hardware in them (mine is one of the last made in the UK too, if you order one today you’ll get made in China). Instead of putting a PC in there, I put a in FPGA system (a guy in Spain makes a Mini-ITX kit) so I can run any computer/console from the last 40 years with everything from casette audio input to modern network support, both modern USB and old input support and both modern and old video output support as well (you can see a bit of a pro video CRT monitor in the background that I use with it for that real old school feel).

Sorry for the long and nerdy answer, but since you spotted nerdy details, I thought you might want some back! :nerd_face:

(Translation for Photography nerds: Imagine a hobbyist hardware kit camera that could take any lens from the last 40 years and simulate any sensor from the last 40 years, and optionally shoot both digital and film.) :wink:

5 Likes

:man_shrugging:

L1082187.DNG.xmp (20.2 KB)

5 Likes