How do you use Capture Sharpening?

I edited my reply. Batch processing was not what I meant. I sometimes confuse Batch with Queue.

For the contrast threshold, just use the mask preview

1 Like

Ohh cool. I didn’t find it hard to see the effect of the threshold even without that preview, but that’s a cool feature for sure.

Uh-ohh: The batch edit problem is real, I’m afraid. Example: Take three images. Set the the Capture sharpening “Radius” to 0.5 on the first image using the “Editor” tab. Now go to the file browser and copy the settings to image 2 and 3. Now they all have Radius=0.5. Next step: Select all three images, use the “Batch edit” mode to change them all to 0.7. Now inspect each image. Did you actually get 0.7? I didn’t. (Recreated the problem multiple times already.)

Works fine here. Maybe I miss something…

The forum doesn’t support mp4, so…
www.robotplanet.dk/f/rawth/batch_editing_capsharp_radius.mp4

As you can see, I start by having them all at 0.5. Then I change them all to 0.72 at once. But once I inspect the results, they’re all suddenly 1.22 … a much higher value.

Seems like you have the add mode enabled instead of the set mode somewhere

You’re right, I was in “Add” mode. But “Add” mode seems to work differently for the Capture sharpening parameters. If we compare it to, for example, “Highlight compression” on the first tab (basic exposure stuff). This slider goes from 0 to 500. But as soon as I multiselect several images, the slider changes into a mode where it offers negative values. This way, the “Add” mode can also subtract, which makes sense if you want to lower the value for multiple images. This does not happen for the Capture sharpening parameters, so it is impossible to lower their values in batch edit mode. This seems odd to me.

Probably a bug. I will have a look.

1 Like

Just as an addendum to my above post, I find with the benefit of further use that applying 150 in the USM amount field produces over sharpening even in landscapes in most cases. 50 or 75 is better.