How to create camera noise profiles for darktable

many of those tools you will probably have already installed (graphicsmagick/imagemagick + ghostscript)

so there isnt much new. with the 3.0 release we hope to have all distro packages ship the noise and basecurve tools. so the user experience is the same on all.

Again, those are needed to run, not to build.

The thing that got me gritting my teeth was a specific version (9) of clang and friends.

@darix said that the noise tools are packaged, but some dependencies are missing like gnuplot and convert. The fix would be to split out a noise-tools subpackage and correctly require convert and gnuplot.

Btw. I’ve updated the article with a link to the packages.

I don’t think so. I stand by my previous statement:

It’s not packaged in any way. The only way to have the noise tool in Ubuntu is to build it from source.

Then it is time to open a bug at Ubuntu, as other distributions are providing packages. @darix who wrote the dsc file for the build service?

When I made my noise profiles on Ubuntu, I just downloaded the source and installed the missing dependences, then ran the noise tool script.

Same here on Archlinux. Didn’t need anything (apart from the dependencies) to be built. Has this changed now?

It hasn’t, but there is a docker container now if you’d like to use that :slight_smile:

1 Like

someone could just fix the PKGBUILD for darktable to include building the noise and basecurve tools. If you have contact to the DT packagers for arch, you can ask him to talk to us in #darktable on freenode :slight_smile:

JFYI: the master package now has the subpackages. I will have the upstream packagers review the changes and then update the stable package as well.

3 Likes

Well…I got it working and managed to create my noise profiles.
My brother helped me out with creating a Docker-image based on Ubuntu with packages from OpenSUSE repository. I don’t think I could repeat the procedure if I tried.

you dont even need a docker container if you are on any of the supported linux distributions. you could just install the packages from there and profile your camera.

I have two noise profiles to submit (Olympus E-510 and Panasonic GH5), but can’t create an account on Darktable’s Redmine (“Sorry, that was too quick! Please resubmit.” on register click).

Any advice?

Please use the following link: Issues ¡ darktable-org/darktable ¡ GitHub

Thank you, it’s done.

I’ve updated the article to point to the correct location.

A bit off topic; but would be cool if this was usable in RawTherapee as well :stuck_out_tongue:

The curve fitting sometimes looks a bit suspicious. I mean, look at this:

What’s up with the blue and especially red curves?

Sorry to say, it does not work. At least not out of the box and I can’t get it to work.
1st error. The Ubuntu packages for darktable-tools-noise are available but they uninstall ImageMagic. Then the script fails because it checks on ImageMagic and it is not available.
Install imageMagic → That uninstalls darktable-tools-noise.
I removed the check because darktable-tools-noise provides ImageMagic.

2nd error. I cannot solve this one. On converting, script throws this error:
→ ISO 400:
images/P6070243.ORF
convert convert: Unrecognized channel type (-channel).
./darktable-gen-noiseprofile: 499: [: Illegal number:
convert convert: Unrecognized channel type (-channel).
./darktable-gen-noiseprofile: 506: [: Illegal number:

No idea what it means or how to fix it. However the noise-profile is generated!

3rd error: Model is incorrectly stated in the generated Json file.
The Json-file generated contains this line:
"model": "E-M5MarkIII",

The noise profile is not recognized.
But it works when I manually change the line to:
"model": "E-M5 Mark III",