How to Create this Unrealistic / Slighty Cartoonish Look in Photoshop (or Lightroom)

If anyone knows how to create this effect in Photoshop or Lightroom, could you please share your insight?

The image appears to be transitioning toward high-end animation graphics, especially the dog in this image. It’s apparent on the guy, too, it just has a different feel to it that I’m not quite able to describe.

Photo credit slrlounge.co.

1 Like

This is a forum supporting open source software. Uploading images that you do not own, or whose licence does not explicitly allow it, should be avoided.

1 Like

As already mentioned, this forum is about open source software. So, no Photoshop or Lightroom. The image you posted was done with additional flash, something difficult to simulate in software. You would have to mask the subjects in the foreground and add “light” somehow.

1 Like

Sorry all, I’ll delete as soon as I figure out how

Just replace the image with a link.

1 Like

This image what done in a studio. The background was with a back drop, or it is a green screen composite. the lighting angle in the background doenst match the lighting on the back of the subjects, now does the “grass” in the foreground match to the image as it should.

2 Likes

@Joey SLR Lounge is famous for teaching how to manipulate and use off-camera flash, often multiple of them, so I’m more than certain it’s not a CGI effect :wink: Just a cleverly lit photo.

1 Like

Definitely fill flash, you can see one big softbox in the eyes. But the shadowy grass doesn’t make sense and there is way too hard of a rim/halo on the guy.

1 Like

As already stated by others this shot is created by the use of flash in the camera and is not due to just software. However, experiment with heavy handed use of the local contrast or clarity sliders in any software and you may get the kind of effect you desire. BTW, if you ever tire of paying a subscription to Adobe I would recommend trying darktable. I have walked away from Lightroom because in my opinion darktable is more of an artist’s tool for editing. It has great localised masks.

1 Like

Thank you all so much!

Thanks for sharing, interesting. My thought (as a flash novice…) is that it’s just flash giving the special effect, and the rest is tru-to-life so as to speak… but I wouldn’t bet against some composite work somewhere. :thinking:

1 Like

Yep. Flash (possibly followed by a bit of post-processing tickery).

I find it interesting that you describe the effect as ‘unrealistic’ and ‘slightly cartoonish’ as I too have always considered these kinds of shots somewhat unnatural. Don’t get me wrong, though; I still think the technique can be used to great effect when executed correctly (and I’ve seen many a great image that proves it), but I personally prefer a more natural look in most situations.

2 Likes

Look up Dave Hill effect. Plenty examples of his work and how to replicate it.

There is this existing post Highlight Bloom and Photoillustration Look - #16 by MartinWackenhut

and that replicated in the gmic plugin for Gimp / Krita and others. The Illustration Look filter.

2 Likes

We also have our very own (pixls.us) article on that right here:

3 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one! The lighting set up is amazing, my eyes were tricked into thinking something had been done to modify the textures, especially on the dog.

1 Like

Thank you! This seems to be the consensus, I’m just baffled at how the lighting set up can make the dog appear that way, very impressive.

1 Like

The lighting technique that’s used here is called ‘overpowering the sun.’ I’ve always wanted to give it a go, but my current camera dosen’t have the ability.

1 Like

A softbox pointed upwards (so that the trailing edge casts a shadow just above the grass) would do this, then it’s just a matter of balancing the flash against the sun.

David Hobby has a good article that covers the technique (using the horizontal edge instead of the vertical) in his Lighting 103 series. Strobist: SLC-1L-03: Need Light With More Edge? <br>Aim It Away From Your Subject.

4 Likes