How to name a layer output to GIMP

I’ve tested at home, with GIMP 2.9.5 running on Ubuntu 16.04, and it works (output blending mode ‘overlay’ really sets it to overlay).

Thanks I’ll rty again at home, maybe I did something wrong. which I didn’t notice yet.

:smiley: Now I get it!
As the duscussion was about output into Gimp layers I thought pos was the position in the layer stack. So it’s no surprise that all my tries with 1, -1, 2, -2 etc… didn’t affect the layer position and weren’t really visible, because I couldn’t see the pixel shift.

Ah OK. The order of the layers is just given by the order of the image in the G’MIC stack, the top layer being [0] and the bottom layer being [-1]. This info thus don’t need to appear in the image name.

I think it was when I was using a Mac a couple of years ago and installed McGimp on it that when I used a plugin in G’MIC, it automatically added the plugin name to the New Layer (I always use the New Layers option). That was so nice!

Maybe it was just how Gimp and G’MIC worked on the Mac.

I can make 50 layers in half an hour so having to take time to type in the plugin name for each layer is frustrating so I usually don’t add the G’MIC plugin name to the layers.

But I’d like to be able to refer back to which plugin created what effect on that image.

I think this is what you are talking about in this topic???

But truthfully, I don’t know what you’re talking about when you use words like scripting, command etc. Where does one even put that if they knew how?

Is there a non-coding way to have this happen?

Thank you.

They’re talking abiutbrunning gmic from the terminal. If you are using the GUI, see the post I linked.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. :grinning: :grinning:

"They’re talking about running G’MIC from the terminal. If you are using the GUI, see the post I linked."

GUI = Gimp User Interface? G’MIC User Interface?
Terminal = ???
Link - I didn’t see one

"Layer: New Layer Output: verbose (layer name) Or something to that effect. I’m not in front of my com;puter.

I’m using Windows 10, GIMP 2.10.28, G’MIC-Qt for Windows 64 bits 3.0.0 pre#211005

I do choose the option to have the Output sent to a New Layer, but not the option to type anything in anywhere.

So, right now what G’MIC does is add the plugin effect to my image file as a new layer (the original layers name with the word COPY after it

Thank you,
ColorWorks

PS: I don’t know how to quote you with your name and everything.

Please post a screenshot of the gmic plugin

Hi Paper Digits,
I just found this info, perhaps this is what you were talking about?
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?p=98026#p98026
you can also experiment commands following these steps:
-open gimp
-open an image (no matter, even new one empty)
-go to filters
-select gmic
-when gmic opens:
-select “various”
-then select “custom code (local)”
-you may remove whatever you find in there
-then put your command(s)
-select “update” to see result in preview window or
-select “apply” / “OK” to have it executed

I can do this if you tell me what to type. If this is what you were talking about.

Thanks,
ColorWorks

In the bottom right hand corner it says Output Mode, from that, select New layer (verbose).

Hi Paper Digits,
I’m including a screenshot of the Output Options.
New Layer is an option but it doesn’t add the plugin name to the New Layer - it only adds the word ‘copy’ to the new layer’s name.
As you can see there is not an option called New Layer (verbose).