How to process photo-scanned B&W negatives?

One could make an argument that old negatives were probably shot on film by necessity, in a time when digital was not an option. As such, digital processing might be desirable to save otherwise “lost” shots.

In contrast, shooting new images on film is most likely a stylistic choice, for the express purpose of enjoying the unique character of film. Post processing in this case is most likely to be creative, rather than restorative.

Honestly, though, I find the distinction somewhat meaningless. I enjoy processing my images digitally. I would scan my negatives just to be able to do just that, regardless of their origin.

2 Likes

I also add here my quick try at it.
I didn’t use darktable, as usual when I manipulate negatives.

It’s the same processing I mentioned in a previous PlayRaw and described here.
This one was a bit quicker and less elaborate.

Might I suggest my video on this subject? The primary difference is I scan to positive instead of negative.

3 Likes

Thank you! I will add it to my watchlist immediately!

Edit, watched the video:
Thank you for sharing your workflow. I see you’re using a flatbed scanner and Silverfast to get the negatives inverted. I wonder how this process compares to doing it in Darktable.

1 Like

I have only experimented with inverting in Darktable so I can’t say what the differences are.