How to synchronize metadata and file names between darktable and other photo/metadata editors?

Well, I did that two posts above

2 Likes

darktable and digikam do share XMP files in my case.
digikam 5.9.0 or earlier versions wonā€™t detect any changes in XMP sidecar automatically but starting from the version 6.0.0 it will be detecting changes on startup

1 Like

Sorry. Getting updates via email. Couldnā€™t see posts not to me.

Sorry to get so pissy but, Iā€™ve been online since before the internet, Iā€™m a technical writer. Iā€™ve been asking and answering very specific questions since before some of these people were born. 999 times out of 1000, no matter how specific of a question I ask, it is not one that most dudes on the internet want to answer. But they want their imaginary internet points for posting somethingā€¦ anything. So they tell me Iā€™m asking the wrong question. They tell me they need to know everything around the question so they can tell me Iā€™m wrong about that. If I act even the slightest bit miffed that everyone wants to waste my time (and the time of everyone else in the world who may end up with the same question) by insisting that I should have a different question, then I inevitably get some jerk insisting that I didnā€™t ask a clear question. Just because you (they) canā€™t grasp the concept of someone doing something different from what you (they) always do, does NOT mean the question wasnā€™t clear.

Why do I keep trying? Because Hope springs frikkinā€™ eternal. Because I am desperate to find a way to manage and edit my photos without paying Adobe a fortune. So, I sheepishly slog my way into yet another forum, full of devotees of yet another open source program and do my absolute best to write a question that addresses my issue, and only that issue (so that I can avoid explaining and re-explaining irrelevant things to a bunch of karma whores). Butā€¦ surprise SURPRISE! Karma whore does as karma whore is!

I finally call someone on their bullshit. A war ensues because, ā€œHow dare you call out our cherished karma whore queen!ā€ And then I get banned from the forum.

Sometimesā€¦ If I am very, very lucky; Someone with no vested interest in proving that the program, supposedly supported by the forum, is the best thing since wheat grains (let alone sliced bread) will explain how they get around the problem by accepting that there are other forms of grain besides wheat and they only use the program for certain strengths, skipping over the problems by using some other program.

So THATā€™S why I keep trying.

Have a blessed day!

Perhaps I should just send this to Lewis Black.

Awesome! Thank you!

I did time on tech support desk (10+ years) and thereā€™s a good reason for that; many turn up with a flawed solution instead of the true question. Itā€™s a very difficult balance between seeming patronising and becoming too technical. Personally I think the folks here do a pretty good job for no costā€¦ friendly too!

3 Likes

12 years as a network manager and independent network consultant. Iā€™ve seen my fair share of bad questions. Hereā€™s the difference: As a network manager my duty is to the company. Therefore, it is my duty to keep asking ā€œWhy?ā€ till I find out what they are really trying to do. I literally called it my ā€œRule of five Whys.ā€ However, in a forum, it is none of those peoplesā€™ business if I am asking the wrong question. It is not their job to make sure I am not wasting my time. And it is insulting for them to assume I donā€™t know what I am asking about and treat me like a moron. Is there a legitimate reason for damn near every dude on the internet to treat everyone else like they are a moron? Other than lame-ass one-upmanship? I say no.

I say, this is exactly the kind of behavior that women are talking about when they complain that men are hostile to them. What women donā€™t realize is that these dudes are passively agressively hostile to damn near everyone. And I say it should stop.

So, every once in a while, Iā€™ve had enough and I call someone out. Will any of these jerks learn? Probably not. But maybe, possibly, some of the moderators will get the clue and try to get people to focus on being helpful rather than scoring imaginary man-points on every post.

Sure, youā€™ll get that kind of people. But even on a forum itā€™s down to trying to help and please the majority without hurting feelings. Mostly that will be non technical people, or often some with ā€œa little knowledgeā€¦ā€. You are the rarest kind: with good technical background. Itā€™s a tough thing to get right, especially in text. Anyway, I donā€™t wish to derail things further :slight_smile:

But itā€™s their job to make sure they and everyone else in the forum are not wasting their time.

So, yes, I think itā€™s those peopleā€™s business if you are asking the wrong question.

This is what I expect from a place where there are friendly people more knowledgeable than me: that they help me go beyond my limited field of view. Isnā€™t that what learning is about after all? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR-H2uFCQls)

Everyone here is trying to be as helpful as they can to arrive at a solution to your problem.

Theyā€™re asking you questions because they donā€™t understand your problem (indeed - it wasnā€™t really clearly stated in your first post). This should be an indicator that you might not have stated your question clearly enough.

Asking questions to clarify the problem does not equal treating anyone like a moron.

I understand you want to do what you want to do how you want to do it. Weā€™re happy to help if we can to find a way for this to happen, and I think everyone here is approaching this with the best intentions. Please keep in mind that we are trying to help, and arenā€™t interested in making you feel like a ā€œmoronā€. We are interested in the why you might be doing something in case there might be a solution we havenā€™t considered yet.

It is possible to question your motives in an attempt to understand better what youā€™d like to do without nefariously trying to demean you or call you ā€œstupidā€. Everyone here is coming from a place of wanting to help and understand.

Hopefully youā€™ve got a good head start on a possible means to reach your goal? The digiKam category is here if you need any help with it as well: https://discuss.pixls.us/c/software/digikam.

2 Likes