I am working on a rebrand for Darktable šŸŒ»

CC0 means yes.

1 Like

Keep in mind that there are jurisdictions (France for one) where attribution is always required (if at all possible, convenience is not an excuse), even when the artwork has a CC0 license.

But then, itā€™s always possible to have a discreet watermark provinding the attribution (or use a script to check for appropriate metadata, and use that?)

How about creating a topic for that purpose:

• which explicitly states in a pinned post that all images uploaded there may be used for the darktable site / tutorials etc. (the licence is assumed to be at least CC BY-NC 4.0);
  • the attribution on the site would be ā€˜contributors to <link to topic>ā€™.
2 Likes

+1

2 Likes

If any of my pics are deemed worthwhile I can re-license any except the portraits I guess, but I could of course ask the model Benjamin Grimm-Lebsanft (@piratenpanda@pixelfed.pandainthecloud.de) - Pixelfed

also off course huge thanks to @rudantu for the work, it really looks great!

Iā€™ll submit my Youtube channel as a learning resources.

Iā€™d like to list my Flickr as a source of images for showcase (along with my portfolio ) as theyā€™re already CC BY-NC-SA but Iā€™m not comfortable doing CC0 as this is also a part time gig for me. Everything on there going back nearly a decade has seen one version of Darktable or the other[1]. Iā€™ve also signed contracts with others stating theyā€™ll be CC NC-BY-SA or similar on certain jobs. If you guys could do at least some kind of attribution it would be OK with me. I know itā€™s a PITA and I keep rolling lists of models, muas, locations for things I post on social media myself.

[1] Unless it was shot on film, but thatā€™s usually in the photo description.

1 Like

Awesome to see the excitement and collection of images/assets for fresh content! I will definitely be looking to acquire new screenshots and maybe even footage of some edits in action for a ā€˜app trailerā€™.

Spent a good few hours pulling together new icon designs to give all 60 (?) modules their own symbol. I think they look nice, and also work without colour. I am building these with my new design language in mind.

There is some conceptual overlap and possibly room for improvement, many designs (and the design rules) are from Remix Icons so feel free to browse!

19 Likes

wow, the good things just keep coming, @rudantu !

I love the rebrand! Regarding NC (Non Commercial) licenses, I think we have to carefully consider their use.

darktable itself is freely licenced, if it was not, does that mean you couldnā€™t use it for commercial work? By extension it makes sense to keep darktable documentation/showcases also free.

Showcase materials should ideally be able to be reused commercially (in my opinion), for example in books or youtube videos that would promote darktable.

I am not a lawyer though.

Letā€™s try and keep this thread about the rebrand itself.

We can debate image licenses elsewhere.

4 Likes

Why not try get every icon in the UI updated at the same time? :laughing:

9 Likes

Iā€™d vote for darkroom for exactly the reasons you mentioned. At least in my perception, darkroom is the main component of the application, and thus should be the first to be shown. Also having only one big image compared to many small thumbnails results in a calmer image that is maybe easier to comprehend on first glance.

7 Likes

+1 from me.

Also, I think it would be nice to have a darkroom view thatā€™s showing some of the most used modules, or at least ensuring itā€™s not focusing on the more legacy modules.

Stating the obvious I guessā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If the point is to recruit new users, then one might perhaps show the Quick Access Panel.

2 Likes

Hey! If you would like to explore the new designs and leave comments, please feel free!

App UI Concept

Website Concept

Check the top left corner to change pages!

I am building everything in Penpot - if you would like to join the team please DM me :pray:

9 Likes

This thread is a goldpot of useful information and new interesting tools I wouldā€™ve never got the chance to know if it wasnā€™t for this thread!
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and the thought process that goes behind such projects, youā€™re a great inspiration as I do graphic design myself.

6 Likes

Small animation test for a trailer :film_strip:

Still need to capture some app footage and relook what messaging would be most important. Might actually start from scratch due to how complex my Aftereffects file became

8 Likes

I like the idea but IMO the angle throughout the whole video, especially when coupled with that much DOF, doesnā€™t look that great and hinders the transmission of information.

Hi @rudantu
I also like the video and your enthusiasm and skill in developing a rebrand. Keep up the great work :smiling_face: :ok_hand:

To me the angle, DOF, info amount and speed is also a bit much. But overall I enjoyed the video.
My suggestions would be:

• Maybe remove the angle and DOF effect on the end of the video where you show the darktable logo and call to action (ā€œdownload for freeā€ screen). You could also change the music on the last screens to a calmer one or fade the music out.
  • To make the DOF effect less distracting, I would suggest that you could make sure that text on screen is at least once in focus.

I mean, it would be totally rad if the DOF effect were coupled with an animation where the darktable logo closes its aperture. Sort of as a capstone/conclusion of the clip. :grin:

Otherwise, I agree with the others to tone down the DOF and angle a bit.

In general, I would like to see a few snippets of edits: moving a slider, seeing a change in a photo. Seeing a mask, moving moduleā€¦

4 Likes