I Should Probably Just Use My Tripod

GIMP. Minor adjustments using luminosity masks.

1 Like

Added 3.5 stops EV
Color Calibrated for white snow
FilmicRGB auto white
Rotated 1° clockwise
Cropped for 4x6

Ansel ge2c4a0a

5 Likes

20240118_0054.RW2.xmp (11.3 KB)

4 Likes

I’m still fascinated by this lovely scenery. And I’m happy, that I’m heading to Scotland in March. Hopefully I’m able to catch some magic moments.

Another play with the colours:

20240118_0054_03.RW2.xmp (19.5 KB)

6 Likes

Have I already told you, that I like this pic :innocent:
A more freezy version:

20240118_0054_02.RW2.xmp (14.0 KB)

5 Likes

Cool. Hope the weather is good! Also, I’m no expert and not a Scottish native, but let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

We will see. I hope at least it is not bad, but we’ll take what we get. I love Scotland. It’s been far too long since we’ve been there.
We are travelling every year to Britain, but most of the time we don’t have enough time to visit Scotland. So this time we fly directly to Edinburgh and are heading in direction to Skye, concentrating on Skye and the Highlands.

Cool. I’ve only really spent about half a day driving around Skye, or through, on the way to the ferry for Harris. I’d like to do the prop plane flight to Barra that lands on the beach one day

It’s the same on my side. We were already on Skye but just like you not for a whole day. This time we have 3 nights on Skye, so we should have plenty of time.

1 Like

TonyBarrett_20240118_0054_01.RW2.xmp (68.1 KB)

Most of the time I am rather impatient with landscapes, because, well, that’s how it looked, thank you. This one kept me coming back multiple times. After looking at the location on satellite images and comparing with the picture I am rather confident to pinpoint the location to a few metres. Standing on that little grassy hill next to the road, looking out across the lake … I tried to convey that feeling of quiet and calm where the eye can wander without being distracted but still able to discover.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s the spot!

well if you’ve got the location figured - just to help us out with a previous little discussion here about how you might expose this shot without a tripod, would you mind measuring the distance from the camera position to the big trees please? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sure can do, that would be 250 metres, give or take a few.

Interesting, quite a bit further than I might have guessed actually. Thanks.

The range of editing approaches to this image really shows just how much on an artform editing is. It is not about what is the right way, how do I match the camera’s JPG output, or anything else but how we individually see the scene. For me DT gives this great sense of creative choice, but I know there are so many other great programs like ART, RawTherapee or even commercial programs out there. In the end it is what the user does with the tool.

5 Likes

I get the crops, but I like the takes here that highlight the sky above, telling you there’s a whole different world and it’s just up there …

1 Like

I like that thought

I somewhat agree, but we should also recognize that the original image is very “open”, so kudos to the photographer…

1 Like

darktable 4.4.2; 20240118_0054.RW2.xmp (28.9 KB)

5 Likes

20240118_0054.RW2.xmp (23.2 KB)

4 Likes