I'm on the brink of getting a Lr/Ps subscription

Possibly, though I doubt that there are many people who take digital photos and then delegate the post-processing, as writing out the instructions would take longer than doing it with some minimal experience.

But I don’t understand how that is relevant for this topic, as they would use neither LR nor Darktable.

1 Like

What do you think a SooC jpeg is, exactly?

1 Like

Roughly the equivalent of taking your film roll to the drug store to have it developed (in the olden days :wink:).

Presumably the pros @hatsnp was talking about did not do this — there was actual darkroom work to be done based on their instructions.

2 Likes

It’s not that “artists” need a software like darktable, but most photographers won’t mind spending a little more time on a complex program if they intend to do “art”. I’m definitely not an artist but my hobby is artistic phoptography (or, what I consider “artistic”). So, for me developing digital images is part of the fun :grinning:.

4 Likes

Yep, that was my idea.

1 Like

They might not mind spend more time on their art. But whether they spend that time in darktable or Lightroom or an analog darkroom is immaterial.

I, too, enjoy post processing. It is very much part of the fun I have with photography. I just don’t see how the choice of tool makes it more or less artful. And I actively reject the notion that a certain choice of tool is a requirement for art—be that a software tool or a specific camera brand or type of brush.

We all love darktable. That’s cool! Let’s not denigrate others for making different choices.

5 Likes

No tool makes an “artist” or “art”. But some artists may like certain tools. darktable might be a good choice for artists. Nevertheless, the majority of artists working with digital photography will probably use LR.

Not quite on topic here… But I enjoy using both Dt and lightroom(mobile).
Both have their place for me, and those places are for editing photos from my digital camera(Dt), and editing photos from my phone.

3 Likes

I 100% agree. One of my students who was a painter and became a professional landscape photographer after doing a camera class with me compared LR and DT and she referred to DT as the artist’s tool compared to the efficiency of LR. I never knock LR. It is a well designed product to efficiently produce good results that can meet the needs of a professional photographer or amateur. It can meet the artistic requirements that a photographic artist desires. I just love DT because I find it more fun. The important part of my earlier statement was not which tool was the most artistic because that is just a personal viewpoint and nothing more. The important point is what I quote below.

2 Likes