Image stack file location

That is a beautiful and impressive image!
I get frustrated when I cannot even stack two simple images.
I thought DT pulled lens data from the exif file, I don’t know what " Consider that by default DT doesn’t copy/paste lens correction, you have to explicitely set that by using selective copy/paste." means.

My effort:
Select two nef images in lighttable. (no editing, just a test)

Select “export selected”, “target storage”, “image stack”
Select tif in “file format”

Select “export”
The left panel progress indicates “exporting 1/2 to image stack, then 2/2 to image stack”
After about 3 minutes the progress indicator goes away, but there is no new image in the thumbnails or in the collection list, nothing to import.
I read through the log file and looked in the “C:\Users\Fzyace\AppData\Local\Temp\aligned_0000.tif” location and found the stacked image named from the two source files. Is this how it is supposed to work?

I appreciate your help and patience with my efforts to make this work for me. I’m sure it is simple for you, not for me.

If you can edit the file then replace this line

local align_image_stack_command = align_image_stack_executable .. align_args .. " " .. img_list

with

local align_image_stack_command = align_image_stack_executable .. " -vv " .. align_args .. " " .. img_list

and then align_image_stack will print out more information about what is happening. If you can’t edit the file, then can you add the post the 2 images and I’ll try and see what the problem is.

Thank you Bill, as a windows user I unfortunately don’t know what file you are referring to for editing?

maybe you can post a couple of images here (with Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike license).
We can try to process them to understand if the problem is in the images or in your DT setup

Here are two images I’ve been tinkering with in DT. thanks again
_GRI3962 - Copy.NEF (32.1 MB) _GRI3964.NEF (32.1 MB)

It works out of the box with your images, in few seconds, see the result (exported in jpeg and resized):

see the falling drop which has become double as it was in two different positions in the source images.

So it is definitely your setup. See my parameters

I suggest you double check again the align_image_stack.exe and convert.exe executable. Also, discard history stack from the source images and export to image_stack from lighttable, in order to be sure there is no different editing for the two images.
It must work!

it works. thank you. it even appeared in the collection! I’m now waiting for an 8 image stack of a banana to finish. you must have a more powerful gpu than my laptop, takes a while for me.

I’m glad to hear it’s working now!
Time will depend on HW horsepower of course, but also on the stack function chosen, with Mean faster than Median. Both serve the purpose of reducing high ISO noise, with pros and cons.
If you want to do focus stacking instead, there is another script enfuseAdvanced.
Happy stacking.

What have I been trying to do all this time if not focus stacking?

new question, now when I start a stack the CMD opens up, says sorting by exposure value is disabled (always said that) and then stops after “run called” for no matter how long I wait?

The images you sent actually suggested me you are trying to do focus stacking.
Now, AFAIK image_stack does noise stacking, where you combine multiple shots taken at high ISO to simulate a long exposure with low ISO. It is common practice in astrophotography, but also in other low light situations.
You basically take the average (or the medial value) of each pixel across multiple images afte having aligned them.

In focus stacking different parts are taken from different images (the parts in focus) and blended in the final image. For that you need a different tool, enfuse. And the corresponding lua script for DT is enfuseAdvanced.

Actually one good reason why the alignment could fail in your case is that you are trying to align images with different focus points and therefore different field of view. You need another set of parameters for align_image_stack to manage that.

That certainly sounds like where I went wrong. Macro focus stacking is my intended use, that is what drew me to Picolay at first. I am still struggling with DT, for someone from Linux it is probably easier to master, for us windows guys it seems like a lot of effort for the results achieved. Though your cathedral shot was gorgeous.
I have 90 day for Affinity Photo that does focus stacking super easy.

Regards,

Gary

I have Windows too.
I am testing enfuseAdvanced, once you figure out how to configure the enfuse executable (part of Hugin just like align_image_stack) it works.
Or perhaps if you can try EnfuseGUI which just provide a graphical interface to enfuse.
Then google “focus stacking with enfuse” and you will find several tutorials.