Image viewer for linear gamma images

I believe the only color-managed image viewers are geeqie and nomacs. I don’t think eye of gnome/mate, gweenview, etc are color managed.

Gwenview is color managed, though currently perceptual rendering is hard-coded (same as with the latest stable Geeqie-1.3, though I already got Geeqie to fix it in git, but am still trying to get Gwenview to see the light) and the monitor profile is taken from the X11 atom, not manually selectable.

I meant to say “because of the change from PNG to JPG”, sorry about the confusion.

However, even with the JPGs the banding is only visible in the browser, opening it in Viewnior or GIMP removes the banding.

This thread got me thinking about whether my Firefox is color managed. Sure enough, when I checked http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter, I knew I needed to tweak the settings.

about:config

I left display_profile empty because I don’t have one and the rest as default.

1 Like

Hmmmm… from what I’ve learnt, here is what it ought to look like:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes

@Claes is right, that gfx.color_management.mode should be 1. It’s “2” by default, which disables color management for images that don’t have embedded ICC profiles, instead of assuming these images are sRGB images. Without an actual monitor profile, I’m not sure it will make any difference. The default “2” has been politely referred to as “half-fast” color management.

I haven’t checked in the last year or so to see if everything is still the same for Firefox Color Management, so maybe something is now different than it used to be. I wonder what that quantum version of Firefox will do.

I use “1” relative colorimetric for the rendering intent, but that’s a matter of personal preference.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info @Claes and @Elle. On the reference site (last updated in 2010), it says

0 Disable color management.

1 Enable color management for rendered graphics.

2 Enable color management for tagged graphics only. (Default)

PS I forgot to mention that you need to restart Firefox before the settings come into effect.

Here are two versions of the same image. The first is sRGB, with metadata that says its gamma is 0.454545, and its average pixel value is 0.488162 (on a scale 0 to 1.0).

The second is linear RGB, with gamma 1, average value 0.232402.

The images should look the same.

They look the same on my usual browser, the current Firefox (v57.0).

If your browser ignores the gamma seting, the second image will look like this (which has gamma=0.45454 but average value 0.232402):

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Hardware calibration, how to set Gnome Color/Darktable ?