Implementation of Bigger sliders with markings

I understand but for a straight 600 or 700 edits that’s a pain, you got to admit. Have you tried making shortcuts for the things you use most?

I will try to make my remote work with darktable via Bome Midi translator and let’s hope I can get it to work since this method is a very fast one and much better than keyboard+mouse combo.

Thanks

Absolutely. I have per-module styles that I apply regularly that really speed up my workflow.

1 Like

Do you know if there is any option so that we can have multiple modules open at the same time? Since it’s very annoying when I need to work in exposure and then change to shadows/highlights the modules close automatically and I keep loosing track of what’s going on for the settings made on that module.

You can shift-click modules to open several at a time. You can also disable the auto-collapsing entirely in the preferences.

About slider interaction, you can just click into any place of the slider, including the height taken by the label, instead of dragging the small triangle. The latter is just a visual indicator, it has no special meaning when interacting with the widget. Just click into the slider and have it set the value. A double click on the label resets it to the default btw.

2 Likes

Thank you, just found the auto collapsing toggle feature that’s in double on the beta version settings :slight_smile:

What I feel is that the font type is too small also, I’m working on a 27’’ screen and after a while working with darktable I tend to have my face glued to the screen just to read the small letters, never happened before in any other software I work.

darktable has so many hidden things that makes it impossible to find everything in one pass, wish it wouldn’t take so much time compute the preview and show the updates while moving sliders. Maybe in a near future.

I’m also beta tester for easyHDR and they had this preview problem too, but they manage to correct it after a couple of updates and that makes a lot of difference when editing a photo.

Thanks for the help tip

Cheers

FWIW, on my system (Ubuntu 17.10), hovering does not activate the slider. I have to left click the slider, then the key combinations you mention work as you describe them.

I find all the menus and dialogs in DT to be small (old eyes, perhaps), but I can live with it. I’ve just recently gotten into DT, having been aware of it for a long time. I’m loving the application.

Caruso

The future is today if you have proper hardware.

i suppose you tried to globally increase size of things by playing with screen_dpi_overwrite=150 or so in your darktablerc? increasing the dpi makes everything scale up. sorry i have no idea where that would be on a macintosh computer.

I’m with you on this. The size of the triangle is simply to small. I know about the right click and the scroll function and use them regularly, but being able to use the slider like in every other software would be really nice.

Most adjustments work very quickly, your hardware seems to be limiting.

What would be the benefit of bigger triangles? As I have written over and over again, those triangles have no functionality, besides indicating the current value. There is no need whatsoever to click them, hit them with the mouse or anything. They are just a visual cue.

I guess people would like to have more tactile controls. If I see an apple on the table, I would try to pick it up where I see it. It is also about “These apps do it this one way; why can’t app x do the same!”.

I’ve always ‘aimed’ for the triangle thinking it was the trigger point to make an adjustment but you’re right its not, just checked it on levels module. I did think that was a bit fiddly so now I know. You learn something every day! Thanks houz

1 Like

Just to make it clear to everyone, the whole red area is where you can click with your mouse. No need to hit the triangle, no need to hit the line.

Screenshot_20180122_113143

2 Likes

Agreed, it’s a shame that darktable’s bauhaus widgets are not widely adopted. :cry:

7 Likes

Just to make it clear to everyone, the whole red area is where you can click with your mouse. No need to hit the triangle, no need to hit the line.

Perhaps there should be some kind of hint to make this more obvious. (I have no clue how.)

2 Likes

Maybe this should be add to the manual?

Reducing the interface to this sliders is a bit akward. After several years using darktable and then trying LR or C1 leads to the same experience: “Why is program X so compliated - in darktable it is so easy?”

E.g. it took me quite some time to figure out how to export an image from C1. Man is a creature of habits!

1 Like

I have to admit, i haven’t noticed that before. I’d either try to hit the triangle or go straight to the right click method.

It appears that the manual needs to be fixed then:

"3.2.2.1. Sliders¶

Sliders offer five different ways of interaction, depending on the level of control you need.

1. Triangular marker

Left-click the slider's triangular marker and drag it to the left or right."

(see https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/interacting.html).

It might be good to consider the definition of the slider at Wikipedia, or other definitions of the slider UI element as well, like this or maybe here. Eg. Wikipedia says:

“user may set a value by moving an indicator”

So as a fact we can agree that the Bauhaus sliders used in dt behaves differently than slider elements in other well-known softwares, and that is the basis of misunderstanding and be fair some frustration of new users. On the other hand Bauhaus sliders do provide superior functionality in other aspects.

Question is can we find a common ground: ie enhance the Bauhaus slider to be more friendly with “naive” / inexperienced users, while keeping the existing benefits/functionality?

It’s not about being friendly with

it’s about being powerful-enough to be feature-ful for the knowledged users, who did RTFM.

That being said, fixing https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/commit/baf3150743c137e708f99117619dfff4da89ffdc#diff-8fcda75067eaf780b2d22ead07060247 would be awesome.