In search of automated focus blend software

That’s roughly the same as what i do. Seems to work for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Make corrections prior to fusion and stitching. Some of it may be addressed by the software, directly or indirectly; but if you know what you are doing, it is better to do those things yourself before blending. Since you are dealing with multiple frames, you should bring as much to parity as possible before blending. Considerations (not exhaustive):

– lens corrections (distortion, CA, vignetting)
– scene and frame white balance, colour correction or matching
– mitigate deviation due to lens’ breathing and poor alignment
– mitigate softening and artifacts due to camera shake or lens / filter properties
– correction for scene changes (light, shadow, specular)
– scene registration for stitching

The rest is up to you. You may choose to do more edits pre or post. For dramatic results, I often do both.

1 Like

Ok. But I’d think I should do as little as possible before stacking. I mean e.g. chromatic aberrations should be definitely fixed before, as raw, because that cannot be corrected properly in tiffs. But I am not sure about exposure resp. brightness and contrast. I mean I don’t actually have the image before stacking. I can only fix it when I see what needs to be fixed.

With practice you will have a good idea of what to correct by just looking at the partial images

That is why I focused on corrections. The rest is optional before blending.

Let me elaborate. Although optional, contrast adjustment, for instance, done after blending may not be dramatic enough. With additional pre-blending adjustments, you can get even more contrast because you would be doing it twice (differently). Whether to do it is up to you (and your processing philosophy: are you a scene-referred purist? … but then enfuse/enblend may not necessary be the right tool for that then :stuck_out_tongue:)