Inconsistency with thumbnails in the browser

Hi,
I’m not sure if this is a bug or if it’s “normal”, but:
Depending on the size/ratio of the image it alters how Rawtherapee is showing thumbnails in the file browser.
See the screenshot as the column become uneven when a wide image/banner is in the same folder.
Is it a Bug? or is it normal?
Rawtherapee 5.6 AppImage (official download)
Linux Ubuntu-MATE 16.04 (LTS) (from terminal uname -a : Linux Ubuntu-Family 4.15.0-47-generic #50~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 15 16:06:21 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

I’ve just come across this same behaviour, and I think it’s normal. Annoying, but intended.

As I understand it, RT is developed with camera sensors in mind (raw images), so a 2:3 ratio is expected. In this scenario, there wouldn’t be many problems, and the Maximum thumbnail height setting in Preferences is all that is needed to control the size of thumbnails.

The problem is that, to my knowledge, nobody prevent us to process jpegs, pngs or tiffs with a wildly different aspect ratio (say 1:120), and then those thumbnails try to get the max height up to where a hardcoded minimum column width comes into play. And those thumbnails go even over 1:1 and start getting enlarged (say a 10x50px image and a max height of 350px).

Maybe a simple solution would be adding another optional setting called Maximum thumbnail width in a future release.

In the meantime, perhaps a workaround is putting those images in a separate folder…

1 Like

Thanks a lot @XavAL for your detailed answer.

So it’s “normal”, I’m fine with that, I just wanted to be sure that was not a bug.
have a nice day.
(I did not find the “Solved” button or may be i have not the credential yet, if someone can mark this topic as solved, thanks)

It is normal behavior indeed, and there is an old issue that we would like to get this fixed. Improvements to file browser thumbnails · Issue #1239 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

It’s down on the low priority list though… RT is initially used as a raw processor as @XavAL correctly mentions, and strange ratio’s are very unlikely there.