Indigo Bunting returns to the Sunflower Field!

Using the threshold option now makes this easier to direct the mask at or away from detail…

Nice shot! A more “artistic” approach.

_MG_3777.CR2.xmp (32.5 KB)

2 Likes

This is where the channel mixer can shine also the brightness and colorfulness tabs of color calibration…dropping the brightness of green or blue in CC can help and also add contrast…

It may not be often spoken about now either but a nice way to edit is some times with the color lookup table…Just use the picker to select a color or go directly to say the green patches and you can change luma, sat and a and b channel…its quite effective esp with blue skies as well just to tone them down or bump them up…you can likely do it more "appropriately " in color balance rgb but the CLU module works really nicely too…and its easy and you can often get away without masking…

1 Like

Yes, and that performs wonders for modules like local contrast and sharpening, but I was reminded that it won’t work for denoise because because the details threshold can’t distinguish between noise and legitimate high frequency detail.

I like that! It really captures the early morning feel.

That’s interesting, but how does that affect the pipeline?

Not the gospel but I think it just minimized any desaturation introduced by filmic…it can show up nicely in a washed out sky. I like the look…EDIT on this photo try just initial DT settings filmic+ lens and then maybe what 1.5-2 ev exposure…now if you set the relative white with the picker or tweak it the flower has some highlights that need addressed…if you crank up white relative to reel them in the picture is quite muted…you can tweak filmic to get a result but instead …settings shown in the screen shot…if you blend in lightness you get nice yellow in the flowers…I usually use no or Euclidean for color preservation…this shot is with no…the saturation on the bird looks better to me also …then you can move on and edit as usual…

normal blend

Lightness

1 Like

My attempt, tried to add some purples, fun shot.

_MG_3777.CR2.pp3 (28.8 KB)

4 Likes

very pretty bird. the following is a vkdt render, no masks or anything really, but using an input device transform based on spectral sensitivity curves:

here that helps to balance the blue and the green. adjusting white balance would otherwise render the greens in weird cyan tones or the bird not as saturated. interestingly here the difference to an input matrix is more in the greens, not so much in the blue. i white balanced a bit to remove some green and add more blue.

the blue is so saturated though, that i can dial out the saturation a fair bit before it even changes on screen:

2 Likes

_MG_3777-4.jpg.out.pp3 (17,0 KB)

1 Like

dt 3.6

_MG_3777.CR2.xmp (9.0 KB)

4 Likes

_MG_3777.CR2.xmp (39.0 KB)
Uploading: _MG_3777.jpg…

2 Likes

Thanks for this tip, it works brilliantly.

Thank you for the play. I had some fun with GIMP/G’MIC:

2 Likes

Love that pastel like background you captured…

2 Likes

@jonathanBieler - I think your pretty much nailed the bird’s coloration!

@hanatos - that’s a pretty amazing rendition… hopefully VKDT will become available to us mortals at some point.

@priort - I’ve always tried to get that pastel look, but have had trouble getting that consistently.
I got there in pitch darkness so I had time to line up the lighting for the shot.

Its almost surreal…very nice image…giving such an unique green and the muted background for your star of the show…

1 Like

Nice shot, thanks for sharing.

My go with DT 3.6.

IMG_3777.CR2.xmp (16.5 KB)

2 Likes

I find it fine and I try it !

_MG_3777_01.CR2.xmp (26.7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks. I like the pale green and bright vignette.