Installing win10

Hey, gadolf. I believe there’s a way to just have to download updates and then you can use one machine to push them to the rest of the machines saving bandwidth. Not that big anymore with this stuff, but your IT folks should find out how to do this. :slight_smile:

@lylejk you’re right, we tried that but it didn’t work - at least it didn’t at the time of that update. I recall having read some stuff on the Internet about it not working, but, unfortunately, don’t have any reference now.
Btw, I’m the IT folks :slight_smile:… anyway, provided the whole set of workstations doesn’t completely fill up the bandwidth, it’s ok, because we’re on an unlimited dedicated link.
But you’re right, that feature is working, sure it’s the way to go.
UPDATE: if I correctly recall, it would only work on the Enterprise version but… not completely sure…

Believe it is only for Enterprise license. I suppose small businesses have to do it the hard way. That should not be. I wonder if Linux has a way to patch using a similar method? :slight_smile:

:thinking: It might have to do with the clean install but it looks like win10 is running better than win7. In particular, I noticed that the colour is more consistent, perhaps due to better drivers and colour management.

The calculator isn’t as good though. I used to be able to edit values and expressions by clicking in the number field or history. I can’t do that anymore.

Calculator is much more powerful than you realize, afre. Click the triple horizontal bars and you’ll see for yourself. Basic calc (standard) is quite simple and, for most tasks, good enough. :slight_smile:

Not being able to edit valuesa is a deal breaker for me. I can however install an older version. The problem is that I can’t make this the default calculator in Windows 10. It won’t let me select this one and associate it with what is called the URL:calculator protocol. If anyone knows how, please let me know.

a ↓

I have been encountering a problem for a while now where the system stalls at the login screen when I wake it up from sleep. I couldn’t figure out why and had to reboot each time.

Later, I found out that it had to do with activating one of the circle messages. When the login screen is normal and I click on one of them, it stalls. I can move the mouse but nothing else works besides the power button. Sometimes I still see the login screen. Other times it is just a blue hue.

Now, I found out that I could ctrl+alt+del to force the password field to show up. I type the ps and I am in but sometimes the frozen login screen is back on all of the sudden. Sometimes staying there and at times only a flicker. This is maddening!

I wonder if any of you have encountered this problem and / or have a solution. I know you could turn off some things here:

I found out why my fans are whirling at max. It has to do with Windows Defender, which I cannot disable1. Turns out I have to do two things:

1. Add an exception to all of my executables.
  2. Add an exception to Windows Defender.

Both are silly. The latter is nonsensical :poop:.

1Alternatively, if I install another AV, Defender would supposedly turn off. Even then, people have reported that it may not happen. :poop:

Never too late for some Linux action, @afre :wink:

I have Linux VMs; haven’t reinstalled Cygwin yet. I don’t like using Wine. :shushing_face: Purpose of this thread is to convince people that Linux is the way to go.

If you have Windows 10 Pro, you can disable it in Group Policies.
Try Start - gpedit
UPDATE: Fyi, in the soho environment where I work, we’re all running Defender as the main antivirus, no big issues at all.
UPDATE2: Group Policies are, in my opinion, the most elegant way of taking real control of a Windows machine, and that’s my preferred Windows feature.

The thing is that I don’t want to disable it. However, when it is using 30% of my resources as a baseline, it would wear down my hardware in no time and generally cause my software to be really slow when this shouldn’t be happening in the first place. It was okay when I used win7. 30%+ is not normal. Adding the exceptions as I described above was the workaround that worked for me.

Again I’d try group policies, because you can tweak it deeper.

But if it’s ok now, then, it’s ok

Anyway, I’d seriously consider @paperdigits.
At home (now!), I’m on board of Linux, and don’t want anything else. Windows, just on a VM, for PS. (but I’m planning to get rid of it, that’s why I’m here in this forum, among other reasons)

1 Like

@gadolf Thanks for your advice. Maybe, I could do it the other way around. Use Linux as host and VM Windows… but that will be a year from now.

I actually just had to spin up a windows VM in virtual box for some work. I was surprised I could pass through my headset and mic with no setup.

This might not be related to win10 but due to old hw.

1. A week ago, the battery stopped charging and the adapter was hot and noisy for charging nothing. I solved the problem by removing and reinserting the battery. A few times since, the battery would stop charging momentarily and then resume. (Maybe yesterday’s episode had to do with my house losing power due to the ice storm.)

2. Just now, the system froze (no blinking LED lights), as in I could still see the screen contents but nothing else worked, except for the power button. Maybe it is the login screen problem again. Maybe it’s something else.

Thoughts?

Could you have become infected by the Dust bug?
When was the last time you cleaned the air inlets/outlets,
fan blades, &c?

/Claes

Could be: I give it an exterior vacuum once in a while.

Updates
– I changed the title bar colour to grey when active and black when not. When active is set to grey, the inactive colour is white by default. I had to change it to black in the registry.
– I just installed Ubuntu on Windows… :grinning:

Looks like it is a bit behind: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS.

PS Upgraded to the latest Ubuntu! Turns out I need to add the --proposed or --devel-release option to do-release-upgrade. :grinning:

Resolved issue 1 by replacing the battery and charger. Issue 2 still happens but I may be getting a newer used laptop later this month.

Unfortunately, I am dealing with stripped screws and so do not have access to the interior.

I have dealt with the thermals somewhat by throttling the CPU to 25-50% and keeping the fans on; esp. useful during hot summer days when my room is 15C hotter because of the laptop. I wonder how many people actually throttle their CPU. Most seem to want to overclock. :stuck_out_tongue: