Introducing a new color balance mode in darktable

What clipping ? Gamut or dynamic range ?

darktable has that already within the parametric blending options.

I think what you are looking for is the vibrance module, it does exactly that.

As a temporary hack, yes, but my fix to get the true readings has been merged in master today so you donā€™t need to do that anymore, as long as you donā€™t use LittleCMS, the readings will be right in both cases. That one with LCMS is harder to fix.

What does grading involve? I think by grading you mean applying a look to the scene-referred image/footage? Perhaps using a LUT?

And I think you are saying grading is done?/is best done? on log-encoded data rather than linearized data?

What does ā€œdisplay-ready transfersā€ mean? I think you are talking about taking the already-graded image/footage and applying a LUT to map the graded output to make it suitable for display on a preselected display device?

grading is that powerful technic : http://juanmelara.com.au/blog/the-summer-blockbuster-colour-grading-tutorial

Hi @anon41087856, thanks for the link! Very informative. I think it would be very interesting to see how this translates into a darktable workflow using the new tools that you are developing. A little demo would be a great way of highlighting the advantages over a more ā€œtraditionalā€ (ā€œdisplay referredā€? ā€œwrongā€?, I donā€™t know how to call it actually :slight_smile: approach.

For my part, I tried to work with the tools that I know, which is essentially just RawTherapee. Hereā€™s my way of trying to emulate what is shown in the tutorial you posted (just to be clear: without any ambition of being comparable!):

And here are the before and after pictures. The raw file is at http://rawtherapee.com/shared/test_images/woodstock_people.pef. I think it should be free to use, itā€™s part of the RT test images ā€“ if not, I hope @Morgan_Hardwood will clarify.

What would be the darktable way? Thanks!

3 Likes

@agriggio very good video! Demonstrates how to use the new tool in an easy way using a real-life example.

Note that the video wouldnā€™t play the way it is embedded in the post. I had to right-click on it, ā€œCopy video addressā€, then go to that address.

I took the photo and feel free to use it for open-source testing purposes.

Thanks for confirming! :+1:

do you know the proper way of doing that? I simply added the link, pixls did the restā€¦ but if thereā€™s a trick to make it work, let me know and Iā€™ll edit the post.

I think you did it properly, the forum software just failed to work properly.

It translates in darktable straightforward, the only difference is the 2.5 D color wheels of Resolve are 3 Ɨ 1 D sliders in darktable. I hade even embedded a default style to produte just that teal-orange look.

hi,

Iā€™d still love to see it in actionā€¦ do you have examples that show to the uneducated (that would be me) the benefits? Iā€™m trying to understand. I know you posted some examples earlier (or maybe in a previous thread) but iirc there was no raw/source pic attached to try things out. thanks in advance!

@phweyland, are you using colord or xatom to fetch the system display profile ? I think I have spotted a bug with xatom that applies the gamma correction of the display twice on the same picture. Using colord, I still get wrong color picker values (but thatā€™s expected, and I know why - bad but under control), but the image looks as it should. Can you reproduce ?

@agriggio sorry, no time for that at this point, feature freeze is coming, and big colorimetric errors need to be fixed asap. Critical stuff (at least for me).

no worries, I understand. fwiw, I just implemented a basic log compression in (my copy of) RT, so I can experiment while trying to understand whatā€™s going onā€¦ Iā€™ll report here when I have something if anyone is interested

3 Likes

Sorry, I donā€™t know and I cannot check for few days. Not sure that I can choose on Windows, but in any case Iā€™ve kept the default value. Iā€™ve tried to select the specific monitor profile but dt doesnā€™t retain it from one session to the other.

Some little info ? :slight_smile:

Grading could be just the simply rgb curves or brightness/contrast sliders.

I interpret it in this way:
ā€œYou can grade on Log too with benefits compared to grading rec709 gamma transfers where the tone distribution is intended for viewing and not for processing( with a base curve and a lot of post processing like jpegs from camera).ā€

1 Like

@Morgan_Hardwood, @agriggio - Iā€™ve manually just dragged and dropped the video into @agriggioā€™s post so the file is hosted here now and should embed fine.

Iā€™ll investigate why it didnā€™t fetch it.

1 Like

What about some results ?

This is with default orange-teal colour-grading I have added as a preset in the color balance, + the filmic module I have developped these last few days with the help of Troy Sobotka (who is now estranged from here and yet was one of the few helpful, accurate and relevant contributors).

6 Likes

@anon41087856, really good! :clap: :clap:
looking forward to trying this out

@anon41087856
I have started to code a color correction module in photoflow, based on the ASC-CDL formulas, with the idea of making it compatible with the DT tool (I.e. same parameters = same output).
However, the DT code seems to deviate from m the recommended implementation in at least two places:

• if I understand correctly, the RGB parameters are always re-normalized to keep the luminance unchanged. Is that correct? Would it makes sense to make this optional?
  • looking at the code it seems to me that the saturation step is applied before the SOP. However, all the documents I have found recommend the saturation adjustment to be the last one. Maybe I have mis-interpreted the code?

oh wow. if that is the case i think we very much want to get things straight before a release :slight_smile:

in either case canā€™t hurt to discuss this exactly. can you point us exactly to the text of the spec and the lines of code you think are not in line?

I am mostly referring to this post, where Troy mentions:
ā€œAlso note that blender does not provide functionality to affect saturation as part of the CDL node.To control saturation on scene referred data a custom node group needs to be created to operate after the CDL node. Maybe a topic for a new questionā€

Conversely, the saturation is applied at the beginning of the operation in DT: darktable/colorbalance.c at master Ā· darktable-org/darktable Ā· GitHub

Here are a couple of examples of the re-normalization of RGB SOP parameters:

Hope this helpsā€¦

EDIT: another document describing the reference implementation: Digital Cinematography: Fundamentals, Tools, Techniques, and Workflows - David Stump - Google Libri