Investing into Sony a5000

Somewhere between the kit lenses and the pro ones, you have this one. That’s what I use on my Canon (actually an earlier version).

You’ll find quite a lot info about E-Mount and A-Mount lenses here: http://www.dyxum.com/

A little confusing at the start, but a lot of user reviews, photo examples and links to professional reviews.

Well, those two are the mid-range native zooms offered on E-mount, excluding kit lenses, the 18-200mm superzoom or FF lenses.

The Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 with the MC-11 adapter could be an interesting combo, while I know it works well on a6300/a6500 with newer AF system, I have no idea how well it works on the a5000. Of course you can also get the LA-EA2/4 and gain access to A-mount zooms, but you will lose 1/3 stop of light.

If you don’t mind manual focus, I recommend the Tamron SP 35-80/2.8-3.8 or Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 with a Lens Turbo II focal reducer. The Lens Turbo II adapter condenses the FF image circle into APS-C, giving a wider field of view and an additional stop of light, so the 35-80/2.8-3.8 turns into 25-58/2.0-2.8 which is faster than most APS-C zooms you can find.