Is it possible to export to ProPhoto RGB output profile

Hi,

I am still new to this software and testing its features.

I don’t find ProPhoto or Adobe RGB in output profiles. Can RawTherapee export a 16-bit TIFF in ProPhoto RGB? What does actually Working Profile stand for, considering that raw image data has no color profile.

I hope someone can clarify.

The color management page says ProPhoto is the working color space, but is not listed in the output profiles page.

I’d assume, but have no knowledge of the particular point, that AdobeRBG is not freely licenaed and thus RT cannot distribute it. You should be able to select it as your custom ICC profile from the preferences dialog.

If you want to use ProPhoto as output profile, ask one of the search machines. I did and found this site, where is a link to a zip…

Yes, I saw that and exactly because of it I opened this thread.

dcraw is free software and outputs Adobe RGB and ProPhoto:

-o [0-5] Output colorspace (raw,sRGB,Adobe,Wide,ProPhoto,XYZ)

I don’t understand how this relates to RawTherapee. Could you explain please?

If you want to use Prophoto as “output”, there are several solutions:

1. use the “prophoto.icm” profile you can find on the web
  2. use one of the profiles provided with the same primaries as “Prophoto.icm” but with different gamma
  • RT_Large_gBT709 with gamma 2.2 and slope 4.5
  • RT_Large_gsRGB with gamma 2.4 and slope 12.92 (Melissa)
  • RT_Large_g10 with gamma 1
  1. use “Free gamma” with Working profile = Prophoto. In this case you can select any gamma with the 2 sliders gamma and slope.
    If you choose gamma=1.8 and slope=0 Output profile will be the same as “Prophoto.icm”
1 Like

How do you use custom ICM profile as output? I don’t find a menu option for that.
Is it also possible to work and export in LAB color space?

That sounds easy!

Still willing to learn about option 1) though. Thanks!

for 1) there is a “combo box” “Output profile”…you can select all Profiles provided with Rawtherapee and all you have add in your profiles systems.

for 3) note than gamma=1.8 is in general not a very good choice…for shadows, but no problem :slight_smile:

EDIT: Forget it. I found the correct option :wink:

@george RawPedia is the official documentation and it will answer most of your questions:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Color_Management#Output_Profile
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Color_Management_addon#Shipped_files

@Morgan_Hardwood

I have seen that before opening the thread but it doesn’t explain that all I have to do is open Preferences and change the color profile directory path. But now I know that :slight_smile:
Thanks.