Is there a way to reuse previous tool settings?

The latest versions of Gimp 2.9.9 memorize the last settings of curves, levels …
:o)

https://filebin.net/jgzw1sv5eh949i9h/gimp1.mp4

@gadolf

Here is a short video illustrating the memorization of settings with Gimp 2.9.9

https://filebin.net/x6qgsmiv93uiqf90/gimp-2.9.9_memo_courbes.mp4

@samj @Morgan_Hardwood Thanks for the videos.
Settings memorization is no longer an issue to me, but its destructive nature, which, by the way, is apparent in those videos.
If I’m not wrong, that’s not different from PS, whose filters are also destructive as far as I know,
Except that you can use smart objects, where (again, if I’m not wrong) you save filter settings without applying them permanently.
Anyway, I consider this question answered.

1 Like

@gadolf

Your conclusion about viewing the Gimp 2.9.9 video is wrong.
You mix the settings of the filters, the application of the filters, the storage means.

Your question was: Is there a way to reuse previous tool settings?
The answer is yes.

@gadolf No, PS’s adjustment layers are non-destructive. Smart objects are embedded PSDs.

@Morgan_Hardwood @samj Nice videos. Very easy to follow. :+1: What apps and video formats do you use?

@samj I believe that @gadolf posed two questions in his original post. The second being

@afre
I am on Windows.
To record videos I use VirtualDub or Camstudio depending on the case.
I compress in mp4 with FFMPEG used on the command line.

1 Like

Yes, PS filter layers are nondestructive. PS doesn’t offer nondestructive filter masks like Affinity Photo or Krita except for smart objects. PS Smart filter works in a fundamentally different way, but same concept.

Also, PS smart objects can be in different formats like PNG or SVG. Krita has something similar called file layer. PS smart object with file reference = File Layer+Transform Mask.

Blockquote Your conclusion about viewing the Gimp 2.9.9 video is wrong.
You mix the settings of the filters, the application of the filters, the storage means.

Blockquote Your question was: Is there a way to reuse previous tool settings?
The answer is yes.

Agreed.

@afre If I may, I suggest OBS Studio. It’s open source, for free, works both on WIndows and Linux, and beside recording screencasts, it also streams video very easily.

1 Like

@Reptorian The interface is different. You can mask the filter layers just as any layer. In any case, it is good that non-destructive editing is coming to GIMP someday.

@samj @gadolf Thanks for the suggestions. I will give the apps a try. However, I am still not confident enough to make any tutorials let alone video ones :slight_smile:.

@afre That’s not what I mean by filter mask. Filter mask is kind like filter layer, but under a layer instead of over the layer. A lot like smart filter, but they have their own transparency mask much like filter layer. Smart filter is kinda like G’MIC filter mask. It’s sometimes faster to use filter mask because you aren’t adding more layer, but rather using filters on a layer directly.

@afre nowadays I use Simple Screen Recorder, and save to H.264 using a CRF of 23 (though H.265 is better - maybe I will use it next time and see if anyone has trouble playing it).

1 Like

I was practising your suggestion on luminosity masks on Gimp.
As a matter of fact, it was giving me excellent results, since lm were providing the punch that I wasn’t able to get from RT.
But then I came across the need to go back and forth to the tools settings I was applying on each layer and the need to recover the last applied settings, so that I could restart from there, hence I started this thread.
EDIT: Not sure how you’d normally use the tools, but my work flows have plenty back-and-forths, usually spread over many days, so, the easiest way to work like that is by using smart objects and smart filters, which allow me to return to the settings and do small adjustments until I’m satisfied.
From what’s been said in this thread, I understood that these settings iterations on gimp are destructive, and thus should be avoided.

I don’t think destructive edits should be avoided at all. Certainly nondestructive edits are perfered, but if the tool gets you the results you want, that’s what really matters.

They have all done that since at least 2.6. You can save some settings explicitly by giving them names, but each time you commit a change the corresponding settings are saved with a timestamp. To the point that you can have a fairly bloated ~/.gimp-2.8/tool-options/, and I even have a pseudo-script to clean that up on startup

@Ofnuts
In addition, the version Gimp 2.9.9 memorizes the settings and does not re-initialize the tools with each access.
It’s new and I find it very good.

I wonder why Krita still didn`t replaced Gimp for post processing? Especially after GMIC support and non-destructive correction layers…

They can coexist. One doesn’t have to replace the other.

Krita does have direct LAB and CMYK support as well. You can even assign individual color space to layers in Krita. But, they don’t replace each other, but they do have their big downsides. Like @paperdigits said, they can coexist.